Pellet Grills

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DAKSY said:
<>Until you have cooked and eaten the food off this grill or any other pellet grill you haven't had great food at home.<>

In your opinion...

<>We cook everything on this grill 4 to 5 times a week. If you like to eat ribs, pulled pork brisket and cook with lump or wood it is just sooooo hard to control the fire and temp.<>

My money's on the Big Green Egg.
Once you get used to using it the temperature control is there.
Took my GF two whole times to figure it out.
It's not as hard as you say it is

<>With a pellet grill you set the temp and do other chores or sit back and have a beer.

BGE is the same...

<>The pellets are a little pricey - but if you compare it to LP gas it ends up cheaper by about $8.00.<>

Lump charcoal is even less, & the fact that you can extinguish it & save up to 50% of the fuel is a BIG bonus.

<>Believe me the food is so worth it.
We demo the grill every Saturday and if you stop by at lunch most days we are cooking something. BTW - the best burger you will eat comes off this grill.<>

We demo them every OTHER Saturday, as well. Food is as good on the BGE, but running lead cords is a PITA...
We sell them, but I'd rather not have to need electricity to get my grill going.
We have folks up in the mountains round these parts who make & sell hardwood
lump charcoal, so I can support the local economy when I cook my food.
I did 4 racks of Baby backs tonite.
Did a pizza two nites ago.
Burgers, pork butt, ham, Leg of Lamb, nothing like it.

To each his own, tho & after all, this IS the Pellet forum...

Hey Thanks for quoting me!! We absolutely love our Green Mountain Grill. Here's a song for you.

Yes, they are pricey, but IMO if you look at a well made brand name grill that have been around forever you will see that they can be just as much. I agree the food is far better off a pellet grill. We sell the Traeger, but before we knew of Traeger we were selling the Whitfield pellet grill. In fact we still have 2 that we cook on just about every day. Before we knew about any "special" cooking pellets we were eating off regular pellets, and I'm still alive the last time I checked! wait let me check now.....................yup still got a pulse even though I do eat alot of BBQ! If your lookin at these grills wait til your dealer has one of the specials goin like we do, we sell them on a promo. Usually a deal like a free digital controller upgrade, grill pad and a free cover. At least thats what we have goin right now. I'm not sure you wanna start with the junior though, depending on the size of your family. I have a Tex, but then I have six people in my family too. I think you would definately want to get the digital controller, it gives better temp control, no fires goin out on the smoke setting (which is a problem I was having b4 i got the controller). We do a loaner grill for people to try it for free before they buy it. If your dealer has a deal like that, take advantage of it and see if its for you. My heat distribution is fine, usually within 5 degrees or so. Controller the temp is part of the fun of cookin BBQ but I can sit there and watch my LED readout and drink the same amount of beer as I would playin with the charcoal or stick burner! :) I would also say buy 1 of your local dealer, kinda the same principle as buyin the stove from your local dealer. You want service after the sale, these things have movin parts so at some point your gonna need replacements. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to walk into that store when your "thingamajigger" breaks and walk out with a new "thingamajigger" that day and be up and running again. If you want cooking pellets with a specific flavor, they would have them also. I do use cooking pellets when I'm looking for that, like when I make Dinosaur style pulled pork. They use hickory so I use Hickory pellets. Also you can mix them together n get unique flavors a little easier. 1 more plug for me, your local dealer may have a pellet program like "buy 10 bags get 1 free", that cuts your cost down a little. Any more questions, just let me know.

My dealer dosen't have any deals. Where are you located?

Cooking in general is nothing but controlled burning. I have yet to try a pellet grill but I would love to!. I have cooked over an open campfire, propane, charcoal grills, big green eggs, I made a smoker out of a large cress cart (hotel stlye sheet tray rack), I have even made a Dutch oven out of collected rocks and mud off the back of a fire ring on a week long camping trip.( that was sone of the best prime rib I ever had) I imagine pellets are great to cook by, but I am really back to the old standby. I have a charcoal smoker grill ( a cheap one) and my cress cart plus I have a 6' country club grill grate I throw over the camp fire for big cook outs. you just really can't beat the flavor of cooking over real wood or coals....

Thats the beauty of a pellet grill - it is real wood! And for most people they don't have the time to babysit a fire. Pellet grills are not for everyone - but if you want real BBQ and not the learning curve this may be a great choice.

Franks said:
yup, push a button, put food on grill, take food off grill, eat the food.

Frank's five steps to world peace. Beautiful man, beautiful.

I love my treager and will NEVER go back to propane. Charcole is fine but the time it takes and the mess is a real PIMA.
Untill you have had a meatloaf cooked on a treager with hickory pellets, you have not lived. And as someone mentioned, burgers are awsome with a little hickory smoke flavor.
We use about 6 20 lb bags a year which comes to about 100 bucks. We use the grill several times a week but not in winter of course so 100 bucks a year is nothing to me. Charcole will cost you that if not more. I did the turkey for mom last thanksgiving and it was a breeze. Put the bird on at 9:00 pm, set to smoke at 180 (it was 25 degrees that night so the smoker actually ran about 130) went to bed and about 11:00 am turned it up to a hotter temp to finish cooking and it turned out delicious. Everyone raved about the turkey last year.
The fan running inside creates convection style heating so you can put a pan of chicken enchiladas on, cookies, meatloaf,....anything you can imagine.
The food tastes so much better, period.
The price of these is comparable to a quality webber and the results you get are alot better. I think green Mountain look like good grills too. Whichever brand you get, you will love the results.
Do invest in a digital temp probe and take all the guesswork out of cooking with this grill.

I love my treager and will NEVER go back to propane. Charcole is fine but the time it takes and the mess is a real PIMA.
Untill you have had a meatloaf cooked on a treager with hickory pellets, you have not lived. And as someone mentioned, burgers are awsome with a little hickory smoke flavor.
We use about 6 20 lb bags a year which comes to about 100 bucks. We use the grill several times a week but not in winter of course so 100 bucks a year is nothing to me. Charcole will cost you that if not more. I did the turkey for mom last thanksgiving and it was a breeze. Put the bird on at 9:00 pm, set to smoke at 180 (it was 25 degrees that night so the smoker actually ran about 130) went to bed and about 11:00 am turned it up to a hotter temp to finish cooking and it turned out delicious. Everyone raved about the turkey last year.
The fan running inside creates convection style heating so you can put a pan of chicken enchiladas on, cookies, meatloaf,....anything you can imagine.
The food tastes so much better, period.
The price of these is comparable to a quality webber and the results you get are alot better. I think green Mountain look like good grills too. Whichever brand you get, you will love the results.
Do invest in a digital temp probe and take all the guesswork out of cooking with this grill.

Hey Franks,
We love our GMG and do DO GRILL in the winter. We offer an insulated blanket that goes over the grill - keeps the temp perfect. Also have a turbo fan to keep the temp at the setting chosen. Everything on the GMG is standard with the exeption of the SS grill top $75 - $100 more and the insulated blanket runs $79.95. With a package at time of purchase we offer a discount for the blanket. I do agree on the cost of the pellets- we spend less on those than comparable Propane and the food is awesome.

I have yet to find a GMG dealer in my area. What do there units cost?

Franks said:
whoah whoah whoah...you don't BBQ during the winter? We need to have a little talk about priorities
Well let me rephrase that, we do but only on the mildest of the cold days. Where i am, when the wind blows, theres nothing to stop it so a cold windy day and your hard pressed to ever see the grill get to 300 degrees. I have parked it inside the shop with the door open and grilled but the whole "cold" thing becomes an issue then. I have a pellet stove in the shop as well but with the overhead door open, thats pointless. I think I'm going to rig up an external exhaust pipe that i can connect to the treager inside the shop so i can keep the door down. :coolgrin:

I heard that Harmon makes a pellet grill. Is this true?

kinsman stoves said:
I have a Traeger Grill and I do like it for slow cooking and smoking. It does have a few drawbacks but for the most part it is worth the money as long as you are not a speed griller.

Eric

Also, there were no treager grills in my area either so i ordered online and the customer service has been very good with these guys. Is it alright if i post a link to where i got mine?

Status
Not open for further replies.