Pellet Hopper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsg420

Dec 9, 2016
New Mexico
Hello All,

First off let me start out by saying I am so happy to have found this site. It has really assisted me in figuring our what is wrong with our pellet stoves, as me and my parents have the same model, QuadraFire Classic Bay 1200 free standing. This is my first time posting anything. I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the pellets actually falling done into the auger hole. It is not a major problem, but more of a nuisance. What I am talking about is that the hopper can have more than enough pellets, but a hole will form in the center to where you can see the auger opening and the rest of the pellets stay piled up along the sides of the hopper wall. I have never gotten a full nights sleep since I have had the pellet stove as I am always worried about this happening and having to check on it several times a night having to push the pellets down with my hand and piling them in the center to ensure that they fall into the auger opening. I have searched this issue and others seem to experience the same and have offered suggestions. I did try the wiping the hopper box down with wax paper which seemed to only work effectively for one or two nights. Our stove burns constantly as we are trying not to have to use the furnace to save on propane. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a picture I just took right now showing kind of what happens, but these is with the pellet stove with very little pellets, it looks the same way when it is full and the hole forms.

Thanks,

Johnny G.

Attachments

• 20161210_082141.jpg
    20161210_082141.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 147
It may be a matter of the pellets you use ... I have come home to a pellet stove not burning and the hopper apparently full. With a piece of dowelling, probed the hopper only to see the pellets settle farther down the hopper. It's called bridging and happens with longer length pellets. The offending pellets were Trebio hardwood. Never seem to have an issue with LaCretes or Spruce Pointes.

The last bit in the hopper is usually more difficult to slide into the auger. Spray graphite may be helpful to try too just start with a clean hopper and auger before spraying. How long does your hopper last? I have 60 lbs so the routine is to fill it at night before bed...

What I did was to line my hopper with metal tape. I started at the bottom and worked to the top vertically. It took me an hour or so but I haven't had that problem in over 2 years. I considered the graphite spray but decided not to use a flammable product. I can burn anything and nothing sticks. I also vacuum out the hopper once in a while too.

Last edited:
There is also some kind of spray that will make the sides more slippery. I will has to ask my dad what he used and I can let you know if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.