Pellet House pellet search and review "Ultimate Pellet search"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jay, this is exactly what a smart business should be doing. It's very cheap advertising. This small act of kindness will go far! Kudo's to BT. They are a class company!

Chan

CWR said:
Jay, this is exactly what a smart business should be doing. It's very cheap advertising. This small act of kindness will go far! Kudo's to BT. They are a class company!

Chan

Chan,

I am really glad they offered this for us to enjoy. Even if it is just for a few brands it is helping on a greater scale. I agree a class act!

I just put the Hamers in the hoper this morning. I didn't have time to do a temp check. I will get that as soon as I get home this evening. I will go right to the Turmans after the Hamers. I am dieing to see how the match up to the Cubex and others.

I was pretty impressed with the Energex Canadian green bags. Very good heat and low ash percentage. A friend at work has been burning them for a long time and swears by them. I like them too!

I am still haveing fun and learning new stuff. Gotta find more to test! ProPellets are next on the find locally list. We'll see. maybe Dragons too.
jay

Jay, I was thinking...This will also work both ways. When you're done, BT can take your spreadsheet and blow it up and hang it in the office. (Or post it on line) He can tell people that the information was done by an independant tester. He can show them in black and white, what pellets are better and why. A win-win, all around!

Chan

Reactions: jtakeman
This is an excellent test for pellets, Thanks!. I've been waiting to see your tests on the Turmans glad to see they are upcoming in your review, i want to compare them to barefoots. Again thanks!!

CWR said:
Jay, I was thinking...This will also work both ways. When you're done, BT can take your spreadsheet and blow it up and hang it in the office. (Or post it on line) He can tell people that the information was done by an independant tester. He can show them in black and white, what pellets are better and why. A win-win, all around!

Chan

With this being an open forum. Anyone can do this! All info is easily copied and pasted into any thing! All for free to.

I will have to add "will work for pellets" in my sig or something!

By the way I did contact woodpellet.com. I did not get anywhere with them. Would have liked to get LG's on the long list.

Anyone else want to donate some pellets? I could use the free heat(the plus for me)!

jay

BTU said:
CWR said:

Chan

OH YEAH.....!!!!............ :)

Looks like BTU is liking this very much! He also has offered free test samples(thanks by the way), I just can't make the trip to get them. I wish I could get some free time to take the trip. Maybe this spring?

jtakeman said:
Hey Gang

I just got some good news. I will be meeting with Brain from BT Enterprises this Saturday. He has offered to give us more free samples to test in the thread/forum. I will be picking up Nature's Own and PA pellets. This is very cool in my book. I have to give them a big THANK YOU. This is much appreciated by me and should give us some more pellet insite!

http://www.btpellet.com/

I also have to THANK Debi for dealing with me and all my questions over the last few years. She has been great and always willing to help! Debi is the best!

Just some FYI.
hey Jay i'll see ya there, picking up a ton this saturday.

HEMI said:
jtakeman said:
Hey Gang

I just got some good news. I will be meeting with Brain from BT Enterprises this Saturday. He has offered to give us more free samples to test in the thread/forum. I will be picking up Nature's Own and PA pellets. This is very cool in my book. I have to give them a big THANK YOU. This is much appreciated by me and should give us some more pellet insite!

I also have to THANK Debi for dealing with me and all my questions over the last few years. She has been great and always willing to help! Debi is the best!

Just some FYI.

Hemi, I look forward to it, I can't get there until noon-ish. I have to do my day job first. What did you decide to get?

Hey gang.

We got some more brands to sample. A co-worker lives close to Middletown and stopped at Blakeslee pellets for me. He picked me up 2 bags of Propellet and 2 bags of Ozark Hardwood Pellets. I will have to do what I didn’t want to do and Have these scattered about the thread. Would have been nice to keep them on the first 2 pages or so.

I will add these to the list. Along with the PA’s and Nature’s own I am picking up Saturday afternoon. Now if I could only get them Dragon Mountains. The list continues!

Update: Hamers are about finished. I will be cleaning the stove tonight and tossing in the Turmans! I haven’t decided what’s after the Turman’s yet. Maybe the Juniata’s?

Stay warm
jay

jtakeman said:
HEMI said:
jtakeman said:
Hey Gang

Just some FYI.

Hemi, I look forward to it, I can't get there until noon-ish. I have to do my day job first. What did you decide to get?
leaning towards the spruce pointes.....want a high heat softwood and these worked well when i tested a few bags

HARDWOOD

Ozark Hardwood pellets results.

Temp average 247ºF

Ash volume Was about the 19 ounce mark on jar.

Ash weight 9.952 ounces

Ash Percentage 0.778%

Fines Under a 1/4 cup for both bags.

Notes: Found some long pellets in the bags. About 1 3/4 inches long.

Attachments

• OHP bag 1a.jpg
    OHP bag 1a.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 2,014
  • OHP long a.jpg
    OHP long a.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,772
  • OHP ash 1a.jpg
    OHP ash 1a.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,705
HARDWOOD

PA pellets results.

Temp average 235ºF

Ash volume Aprox at the 14 ounce mark on jar.

Ash weight 8.656 ounces

Ash Percentage 0.676%

Fines A little more than 1/4 cup both bags

These pellet's were donated by BT Ent. Thanks BT for the help in my testing challenge

Notes:

Attachments

• PA pellet 1a.jpg
    PA pellet 1a.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 2,030
  • PA long a.jpg
    PA long a.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,707
  • PA ash 1a.jpg
    PA ash 1a.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,693
HARDWOOD

ProPellet results.

Temp average 245ºF

Ash volume was just under the 16 ounce mark on jar.

Ash weight 5.90 ounces

Ash Percentage 0.46%

Fines Less than 1/4 cup both bags

Notes:

Attachments

• Propellet bag 1a.jpg
    Propellet bag 1a.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 2,006
  • ProPellet ash 1a.jpg
    ProPellet ash 1a.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,668
jtakeman said:
Thank you Brian and Debi at BT Enterprises for the free samples. Much Appreciated!

Here we go again, Still only going to burn on weekends!

Disclaimer: All stoves are different and your results may very. There are uncontrollable factors involved. Time is also a restraint. I have a real job and real life issues. This will be as time allows an I don't want to rush anything.I am not a pellet Salesman,Dealer or am I connected in anyway shape or form. Just a addicted pellet burner looking for deals like everyone else! :) And I got addicted to this testing stuff!:

Please don't use this for my results. Use it as a test reference for your own testing at best. I have a multifuel stove and can burn almost anything. I am not bothered by clinkers, Chute backups or burnpot clogging. I may actually be the wrong person doing these test's because of this. Please always try before you buy!

I am trying something a little different this time. Try to keep all the results on the 1st page of the test. I hope it works. I have 2 reserved at the end for future's if I find any. I want to try Dragon Mountain's, ProPellet, PA pellets, Northern and Lignetic Green Label hardwood only. I do have M&M and Quality One purchased if I can't find any of the others. I may also get some Tree Cycle and Uncle Jeds if things work out. Again time is tight and I have limited cash. I will get to them sooner or later.

I got most of these pellets pretty close to home. Tried to stay as local as possible. Most came from Burn Time Enterprises in bristol. The Turman and the Kentucky Kernel cam from CT Pellet. I couldn't make it to CJs in Enfield. I don't know if they sell by the bag anyway. I wish I could have hit more places! Burn Time Enterprises seems to have the best deal's lately. CT Pellet is still to rich for my blood! If I buy Turman this year, It will be from CJ's. The Barefoots and Okanagan's were donated by friends. I like DONATIONS!

This test is aimed at finding the Ultra hot pellets at an affordable price. Comparing this test with the other test that had a dozen or so candidates for the cold season pellets. Shoulder are easy for me to find. Just about anything is acceptable for my stove. Last year it was Turman at $265/ton(I bought a ton and split a ton with a friend) for the cold and O malleys at $240 for the rest of the season. I also scored(40 bags at $4.00/bag) some Premiers hardwoods(made by energex) at TSC for the shoulder season. My budget is similar this year so the price ranges are close. Probably looking at a 3 ton total purchase.

Link to the other "BIGBOX" test:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42511/

During a recent cold snap. I was burning the O Malley. Temps were very close to zero. And my stove was not raising the house temps at medium heat setting(3). Looks like my winter pellets heat has to be above the O Malley average temps. I was able to raise my stove setting to medium high and the stove was raising the temps. I prefer to run my stove on medium heat setting(3) and basically reduce the wear and tear on the stoves vitals. So I need to get my winter pellets at or above the 245ºF heat average to be sure I can get good heat in the very cold -20ºF extreme weather.

Hardwoods
Barefoots*
Corinth√
Cubex√
Dry Creek√
Hamer√
Juniata Next
Kentucky Kernel
Nat Own
O Malley√
Ozark
Propellet
PA pellet
Turman Burning
Wood Pellet Co.√

Softwoods
Lake Region√
Okanagans*
Pure Fire
Rocky Mnt*
Spruce Pts√

Blend
ACP√
Energex Canadian√
Lignetics*
NEWP

* note these results
will be taken from
the other test

√ =Complete

Check the chart attached here!(here he goes with them charts again!) :lol:

Hope you guys and gals enjoy.
jay

If you came to visit me I would give you samples of Dragon Mountain and Acai Berry Pits. How did the grass burn? Whats the ash levvel?

Steve - Long Pond

Reactions: jtakeman
pelletdude said:
If you came to visit me I would give you samples of Dragon Mountain and Acai Berry Pits. How did the grass burn? Whats the ash levvel?

Steve - Long Pond

Hi steve,

Thats very nice of you. But I can't get the time to take the travel to you for a bit anyway. I been working weekends lately. But the next available Saturday I might take the trip to see you and the M55.

I burned the switchgrass pellets last year but didn't measure the ash level. I hope to get some grass pellet soon. But I won't burn them until I finish this test.

Thanks again for the offer. Much appreciated.
jay

rob0075 said:
This is an excellent test for pellets, Thanks!. I've been waiting to see your tests on the Turmans glad to see they are upcoming in your review, i want to compare them to barefoots. Again thanks!!

There in the hopper and burning. I got 256ºF for the heat. It may be a bit to see the ash level. We are getting a warm spell for a few days. I don't know when They will finish.

I will post the ash from the Hamers tomorrow.
jay

Jay, thankyou so much for running these experiments. As someone new to pellet burning your comparison has given us a great jumping off point and helped us narrow down the right mix of quality vs cost pellets to try in our stove.

And..it's fascinating stuff too. I look forward to checking out new results. Great job.

Tx,
Janice

Went to BT Ent. today. I got there just before noon. Picked up the 2 brands that Brian and Debi set aside for this test. I have to say there very nice and I sure look forward to dealing with them in the future. There both pellet heads just like us here. By the way Brian your 2 stoves and 4 tons a year makes you one of use pellet pigs gold star member even. They are both very pellet knowledgeable And Treat there customers very well.

Hemi, I just missed you. And I want to say hi to all the members I got a chance to meet there.

I added the 2 brands to the list. I also finished the Turmans this morning and I put the Juniata's in the hopper. Too warm to get a temp check though maybe later this evening. I will probably just go in alphabet order from now on. Unless there is another brand you want me to do 1st.
jay

Edit : I have one vote for the newps being next. anyone else?

I'd love to see the NEWPs next. Very curious as to what your results will be...Thanks for doing this.

NEWP's it is! Then back to alphabet order. I am curious on the Kentucky Kernel, The reviews have been mixed. But there an Oak pellet and Oak usually burnes pretty hot.

Still on a quest to find Blazers or Armstrong Douglas Fir pellets. Anybody?

macman has scored Allegeny and Warm front pellets in NY. I need to meet him and do a trade. He also has some Lignetic's all hardwood, Premier softwoods from TSC, and the Woodpellets.com(pelletsales) Cleanfires. So you may see some additions to the burn list soon. macman will be getting Cubex, Okies, Spruce Pointes, ProPellet, and Turmans. So we should see some reviews from him on those brands(no pressure macman! but I would like to hear your comments about them).

Just keeping you up to date on things.
jay

Jay
What plant are the NEWP's from.
Curious to see if the Jaffrey plant burns different from the Schuyler plant.

Chris

The NEWP's are burning, But I am glad its a warm day. Temp average is very low compared to the other big names I have tried. 206ºF is one of the lowest I sampled this year. I don't mean to knock the NEWP guys but these would end up very low on my favorites list. Flame was very inconsistent. I had to jack up the feed trim to get them to burn steady. I honestly thought the stove was on low when I check them this morning. There were several brands that burn almost as hot on low as the NEWP's did on medium 3-setting. Rather disappointed because of the rep they have had over the years.

Granted these are from the Schuyler, NY. plant. I have heard the Jaffery, NH. plant has a better product. I guess I need to find 2 bags of the Jeffery NEWP's and compare them. I will see if BT Ent also has some of the Jaffery's in stock. Anyone know who may have some Jaffery's available?

I maybe taking a few days break and burning some grass pellets(I really need to go play for a bit). See link.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50637/

Then it's probably time for another full cleaning and I will get back to finish these off. That will also give me some time to track down some Jaffery NEWP's to review.

jay

What is the date code on the NEWP bags you are burning? It is located on the back of the bag in the upper left hand corner near the corner of the red line box. Should be a 4 digit number ex 9269. It looks like pin holes in the bag they don't use ink.

Meneillys Woodland Products said:
What is the date code on the NEWP bags you are burning? It is located on the back of the bag in the upper left hand corner near the corner of the red line box. Should be a 4 digit number ex 9269. It looks like pin holes in the bag they don't use ink.

The date code is 9221. I never notice that before. really hard to see it. I take the date code as being Jan, 22 2009.

I wounder if other mills do similar coding?

Thanks for posting about the code number, I would never have found it. The code number on mine is 9187. That would make it July 18th 2009. I pretty sure I got mine delivered on July 12th, so the code may just be a "lot" number.

I'm not happy with NEWP Schuyler, NY pellets. I'm noticing the lowest heat and largest amount of ash of any pellet that I've tried. Too bad I've got a ton left.

Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.