Pellet insert air intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsm1212

Jul 19, 2008
Boston MA
I've read a number of topics here about whether or not fresh air intakes are needed, but I've decided I'd like to hook one up. House is fairly new and tight. Fireplace has an ash dump with a door outside through the chimney brick. It's under my front porch so it's difficult to access but I can get at it to make changes. Does anyone make a replacement outside door for an ash dump with a hole in it? How should I go about creating one? Maybe if I screen the hole and then let the door cracked open? Any other suggestions?

thanks,

Don

No ideas I guess. I ordered a simpson fresh air kit 3pvp-aik at dynamitebuys.com. I'm going to fashion a covering from this that fits the outside hole for my ash dump cleanout door. This thing has a little screen on the hole to keep critters out. It's well under my deck that I can just barely crawl under so I'll just prop the cast iron door open a couple of inches permanently.

Don

missed this post somehow, anyway , i'd check to see if the door can easily be removed, if so , pull the door and measure it out have a simple sheet metal (maybe stainless to prevent corrosion) door with a hole that would match your intake line , then screen the opening.

stoveguy2esw said:
missed this post somehow, anyway , i'd check to see if the door can easily be removed, if so , pull the door and measure it out have a simple sheet metal (maybe stainless to prevent corrosion) door with a hole that would match your intake line , then screen the opening.

I agree. I don't think I'd just leave the door open a few inches....it doesn't take much space for "critters" to get in.

Yes, I was going to cover/screen it. But it's possible I can just pull the whole thing out. If it ever stops raining I'll get under there and check.

thanks,

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.