Pellet insert debate....Breckwell 24i or Quadrafire Mt vernon AE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amsmith592

Feb 24, 2009
Ohio
Was looking for some experience opions between the two models, The stove will be replaceing a direct vent natural gas fireplace. Ive done the homework on some specs...50,000btu for the breckwell and 60,000 for the quad.(maximum). The deals I can get is the breckwell with all nickel trim with backsplash for around 2500(no pipe) and the quad is around 3995. I like the looks of both, and the stove would sit in a 2 story family room with a 60 inch fan above. Would like to make the right chice in buying a unit that would help cut some natural gas prices. My floor plan looks like it would circulate either model very well. Just would like some help deciding on both. Thanks for the help, need to get going on a decision!!! Ohio has a frst advisory already this week!!
Andy

The AE is multi fuel and top of the line technology where as Breckwell is offered by home depot Menards etc and is more old style and for lack of a better word cheaper unit.
Having said that the AE at 4,000 is over priced. They should be closer to 3,000.00 The AE claims 60,000 btu but loses ground when it stops and dumps the pot every 2-3 hours when run on high. I owned a AE for 2 years and when it is -20 outside it was pretty noticeable when it shut down to dump the pot every 3 hours. Probably in a more moderate setting it wouldn't have been noticeable but when you need that constant heat it didn't provide enough to keep our house comfortable.
I know several people that own a AE and get along OK but just didn't work out for me. The two biggest weak points are a small ash container and a weak igniter. If you burn corn you can expect to replace the igniter once a year.
One very good option a AE offers is the optional cord that hooks up to a 12 volt battery so if the power goes out the stove will keep running on 12 volts.
I neglected to add another thing. appearence is important but how it works is much more important. After the glamour has diminished and you visit your neighbor who just pushes a button to start his stove and walk away you will get jealous and want what he has. Then when you want to trade that stove off to update you will learn another harsh lesson. The most polite way of saying it is you are comparing a Yugo to a Mercedes.

Just for your information, I have it on good authority from a well respected pellet stove dealer on this site that has sold Breckwells for quite a while, that they have "issues" in quality control, etc. He has recently started selling other pellet stove brands.....read between the lines there.

Are there any other stoves available in your area besides Breckwell & Quads?

amsmith592 said:
Would like to make the right chice in buying a unit that would help cut some natural gas prices.
Andy

I don't know what the price is for natural gas versus pellets where you live but where I live now isn't the time to be trying to save any money burning pellets. NG is far cheaper than pellets this year and probably for the foreseeable future. I just converted from propane to NG and do not plan on burning as much in the way of pellets this year (last year I burned 5 ton). As far as the choices in stoves, the Breckwell isn't in the same league as the AE. When I was doing research I went to a Breckwell dealer and told him I was comparing it to an AE, he told me to purchase the AE because I wouldn't be happy with the Breckwell (true story).

Status
Not open for further replies.