Pellet Insert for Pre Fabricated Fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

josh100

Dec 10, 2005
I'm wondering if a Pellet Insert can be installed into my Pre fabricated Wood Fireplace?

The fireplace is on the 1st floor of a 2 story house on the outside wall. I see reference to
masonry installations and Quadra-fire talks about zero clearance installations for their pellet inserts. But I just
don't understand my fireplace I guess. The house is about 10 years old in Massachusetts.

Am I out of luck because my fireplace is not brick lined?

Thanks.

josh ther are about 3 active threads going on at this time with simmilar circumstances as yours. Craig can you help this guy

I think one can install a pellet stove in that circumstance as long as it fits correctly. In this case, the pellet stove should have a continuous exhaust to the top of the chimney, so in effect that is the chimney lining.

If you look at the front of your fireplace, there should be a metal plate that has your make and model. You can then do a search on the net to find the technical documentation. That should give you a good idea of the dimensions inside your pre-fab. If yours is small like mine, you will be very limited as to what you can fit into it.

I attached a picture that shows where the model plate was on mine. It's on the upper right of the picture.

Attachments

• fireplace1.jpg
    fireplace1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 299
Thanks, I'm sure my fireplace is one of the smaller ones. I do see a sticker on the left side. It seems to be made by Superior. The model number is a little harder to read. Will need to do some research on that to see if I can figure it out.

Don, did you end up finding an insert that will fit your fireplace? Your fireplace looks very similar to mine. Built in fan with a wall switch? I don't think turning the fan on brings much of anything into the room except alot of fan noise. Pretty much useless to me. I tried posting a picture of mine but can't figure out on my camera how to get the picture below 200kb. (but that's another problem :) ....

And it seems that the existing chimmney would be relined for the pellet?

The only insert I've found so far that would come close to fitting is the Quadrafire 2700I. My current fireplace doesn't even have a blower :(

I'm sure one of the experts here could answer about the chimney. It would atleast need to be inspected to make sure it can handle what you're gonna put up it.

As far as the pictures go, I use a free program called FastStone Image Viewer. It works really well for orginizing and resizing pictures. You can find it on download.com. Basically I just resize the picture from 3072x2304 (7megapix camera) down to 800x600pix. That usually will drop the file size from 3mb to around 200kb. If I need to shrink it more, I can. Send me a pm if you have any questions about it. Also, theres a topic in the picture forum about how to ready pictures for posting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.