Pellet insert in a ZC fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

59Cummins

Dec 27, 2013
Colorado 7500'
So I was looking at putting a wood insert in my ZC fireplace but due to safety concerns changed my mind. My question is I found a Quad Casitle pellet insert for sale for a good deal and it includes a 4" liner. I looked up the Quad manual and see the ZC notes but I'm still not clear on the liner part of things. First off do most consider this a safe and tested install? Second, do I need a insulted liner? or is recommended? Any input would be great. I want to move on this before its gone.

zc installs usually require the ZC kit that goes with the stove (unless it's already a part of that particular model, i'm not sure). For my stove, it's a $500 option.

cleaning the stove would be a huge PITA in my opinion.

Most local codes do not allow you to re-use used pipe for a new install. So that liner even though included may be illegal if you live in a 'civilized' area with building inspectors/etc. check with your town.

Insulation is not needed.

IMO, If I had a ZC area, i'd probably have a gas unit with direct vent in its place mostly for decoration, and put a free standing pellet unit someplace else in the house for function.

The manual should state if it is designed to be used in a ZC fireplace. Most installation manuals show you how the vent is supposed to be run. Make sure you're looking at the installation manual and not an operation manual. The liner is "probably" OK to use inside the existing flue but you need to find it in writing first. Check with the building inspector to see what they require in case it's over and above what the manual say. A lot of stoves don't have a ZC kit if they are already ZC rated. It varies by brand. I chose to install a double walled rigid liner in my existing flue but I could've used a 4" SS flex liner. Bottom line....if you're not positive it's OK, don't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.