Pellet Insert in Marco Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John_C

Dec 2, 2015
La Mesa, CA
Hi. I'm new to the forum and have a question regarding the installation of pellet insert into an existing Marco fireplace. I've researched a bit by searching through previous postings but am still unclear as to the possibilities. I gave been told by a dealer that I could put a wood insert but haven't discussed the pellet option with them yet. It seems after reading through some posts on the wood forum that installing an insert into the existing unit is frowned upon.

Here is my situation. I live in California and don't have a huge heat demand, but do run the central heat a few months a year. I would like eliminate the use of the heat and use the pellet stove instead. The house is single story, 3300 sf with vaulted ceilings in more than half of the house. I have the Marco fireplace in one end of the house and a see through masonry fireplace in the middle. The bedrooms, which is the only portion of the house we heat are located at the opposite end of the house from the Marco fireplace. At this point I'm not sure if it would be better to install something In one side of the masonry fireplace (and close off the other) or try an insert into the Marco fireplace.

I've been looking at the Mount Vernon or Harmon Accentra if I put the insert into the masonry fireplace because the opening is quite large (50" w x 31" h). I may have to go smaller if I go with an insert in the Marco. Model number is DWF 36F-2, I'm assuming that means it is a 36" fireplace.

My primary question is whether or not it is safe to consider the insert in the Marco fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.