Pellet Insert into an Electric Fierplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brand, model and picture would be helpful

If it's electric, then you have no flue, no insulation, no nothing. You'd be better off wallboarding up the hole and putting the pellet stove at the best place in the house and penetrate the wall there.

If it's electric, then you have no flue, no insulation, no nothing. You'd be better off wallboarding up the hole and putting the pellet stove at the best place in the house and penetrate the wall there.
I agree. A pellet insert is not suitable. Seal up the hole and install a free standing stove.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
I was thinking on direct venting through the exterior wall. I'm at work and will try getting the required information and pictures soon. I was looking for options on installing some sort of surround into the space occupied by the efp. then installing the insert into that. Do they make such an assembly for a remodel installation? A freestanding stove is not really an option for me because of the floor plan. .

Perhaps it could work if you use a zero clearance insert but I''m not certain.

Perhaps it could work if you use a zero clearance insert but I''m not certain.
Probably not deep enough and since no chimney, he'd have to penetrate the wall anyway. Builders put the 'fireplace' where it looks prettiest, not where it would do the most good.

As pretty as a zero-clearance kit might be, I would never want it. Talk about a servicing/cleaning nightmare. At the very least, I hope its on rails.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Build it yourself...

The current EFP sits on a hearth and there is an alcove off the side of the house that is 2 feet deep that is for the EFP
. IIRCC the current EFP is the opening in the hearth is 36X32 and the EFP is 17" deep. I'll post pictures soon.

An alcove off the side of the house does not sound like the ideal place to put a pellet stove, since it IS a space heater and nothing more.

It would work just as well as a free standing stove in the same spot.

I guess it wouldn't be a true alcove its a pseudo chimney bump out off the side of the house. About 8 feet tall 2 feet deep and 4 feet wide. It has a vent on it I'm thinking incase the builder put in a propane fire place. We have no gas in our neighborhood. The vent assembly is stuffed with insulation to plug it off. Like I said i'll post pics today when I get home.

Here are the pictures
The unit
Exterior wall
Width of unit
Height of unit
Width of exterior wall
Depth of exterior wall
Distance from hearth to mantle
Local Harmon dealer wants 7 grand to install don't see that happening[emoji16]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413940062408.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413940062408.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 173
  • uploadfromtaptalk1413940106863.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413940106863.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 143
  • uploadfromtaptalk1413940159191.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413940159191.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 158
  • uploadfromtaptalk1413940189331.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413940189331.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 169
  • uploadfromtaptalk1413940247887.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413940247887.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 170
  • uploadfromtaptalk1413940269218.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413940269218.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 176
  • uploadfromtaptalk1413940571953.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413940571953.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 158
Have dealer give you details on what is included in the $7,000.00 install price.
Bring him over and ask $7,000.00 worth of questions!

Bill

7k sounds steep! Has your dealer come to your house? I love my new p43,but I paid 3k. At that price I would seriously consider a different stove; and i would tell said dealer the same thing!

If I can get away with it insurance wise I'll do it myself. Don't have a price on the stove yet just heard 5 to 7 grand. I'm thinking they just lost the install fir sure
Have a dialogue with that dealer. They are looking for business. Also, you will need them for the warranty (if you buy a harman, which it sounds like you are looking at). Honestly, my garage had an air entrance for the gas boiler. It consists of a 4 inch plumbing pipe coming in from the exterior. That is the "combustion air consideration" that is required by code. Venting into or through the garage isn't the worse option. Although, house combustion air is okay too (as I am using) I would be interested in drawing an oak down your chimney. Seems like an ideal option

So I see where the Harmon requires a kit to install as zero tolerance and the quadra fire does not. Hmmm? Still reading reviews on line @ wiseheat. Is there anybody on that board that has anything good to say about a stove?

I just put a quadrafire classic bay 1200 insert into a prefab fireplace. For zero clearance installation (not into an existing prefab fireplace) you need a special shroud piece for the stove and a couple other parts as well as certain distances to combustibles. When installing into a prefab fireplace you need certain distances to the metal firebox.

I would take a look at the installation manual to get a better idea of what is needed which can be found on the website. Might be best to remove the electric fireplace all together and either install an insert as a zero clearance or a free standing stove each with a direct vent. I would think you would need to do some insulating of the exterior wall.

You should be able to get the Accentra 52 i in there since you basically have a dog house for a zero clearance gas fireplace. Installation with this stove, zero clearance cabinet and outside air kit should be around $5.200. Check your hearth and clearances to combustibles on the front. You should be good. e2_51i.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.