Pellet insert, is is the right choice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty Grant

Feb 10, 2006
Hi I would like to replace my gas log insert with a pellet insert, to help save on the gas bill. I don't have any experience with pellet stoves but have been told that it will cost around $2 a day, is that in the ball park?
I want reliability,and as long as possible between adding pellets
What else do I need to know about pellet stoves? What are the top brands,models?
Thanks Ty

Hi I live in Utah, but I drive past Evanston Wyo. on my way home from my cabin, and can buy pellets direct from a mill there that is the main supplier in this area so the price is pretty good. Ty

Hi Ty. What price are they asking for pellets purchased by the ton? The amount of pellets you use will depend on a lot of factors such as outside temps, house insulation, size of area heated, etc. I'd figure a minimum of a bag a day. But it could be as high as 2 bags a day in your cold climate. You may get a better bang for your buck by switching to a more efficient gas insert. What do you have installed now? If you have a picture, go ahead and post it.

I have 2 Napoleon inserts, one upstairs one down ,they are about 12 years old and is 80% effic. . But with the gas prices going thru the roof, a pellet insert down stairs should pay for its self in just a few years if what I've been told is true.
Ty

HarryBack said:
2 bucks a day? No. Thats low in your area of the world.

HHHHAAAAA hahahahaha you are right I wish I could have that choice!!!! Of getting cheap pellets!! right now its cheaper for me to use gas than oil and pellets plus electricity it all averages out over here with these prices!!
Harry,

Your knowledge of harmans seems to be much more than your competitors over there in West Spring...
I am impressed... I won't be dealing with those guys in in west spring .... for you have more knowledge GOOD JOB KEEP IT UP:)

Is gas that much more in Utah? we are sitting on .50/therm nat gas here in colorado. Thats almost free.
Pellet stoves are to much maintenance for my taste, plus there expensive to run here. If i had natural gas, i would be burning it.

iceman said:
HarryBack said:

HHHHAAAAA hahahahaha you are right I wish I could have that choice!!!! Of getting cheap pellets!! right now its cheaper for me to use gas than oil and pellets plus electricity it all averages out over here with these prices!!
Harry,

Your knowledge of harmans seems to be much more than your competitors over there in West Spring...
I am impressed... I won't be dealing with those guys in in west spring .... for you have more knowledge GOOD JOB KEEP IT UP:)

Mums the word, iceman, just keep it quiet!

HarryBack said:
iceman said:
HarryBack said:

Harry,

Sorry can't do it.... Gotta tell everyone how much you know.... and I thought (me and some friends) that you just started carrying harmans..
By the way, that was a nice ad you ran in the paper say a month or so ago
I think i am gonna make the trip out there and buy some pellets or something

Actually been carrying them longer than he has. I dont know that we are more knowledgeable than our competition...we try not to step on each others' feet, but its tough in our heavily populated area not to overlap. Sometimes its just a matter of the salesperson or techincian.....some are better than others, or their personality coincides with your own better. For instance, if you go into company A, and talk to their worst salesperson or tech, then go into company B and talk to their best one, it doesnt mean one company is better than another, only means that you sopke to the strongest link in one and the weakest link in the other.

iceman said:
HarryBack said:
iceman said:
HarryBack said:

Harry,

Sorry can't do it.... Gotta tell everyone how much you know.... and I thought (me and some friends) that you just started carrying harmans..

Wait till you see the new maielr we are sending out! Will be quite interesting to see what comes of it.

tygrant said:
I have 2 Napoleon inserts, one upstairs one down ,they are about 12 years old and is 80% effic. . But with the gas prices going thru the roof, a pellet insert down stairs should pay for its self in just a few years if what I've been told is true.
Ty
I don't know what you've been told, but be skeptical. A decent pellet insert installed is going to cost at least $3-3.5K. Pellets are going to run you - I'm guessing here - say $3.50 to $7.00 per day depending on temperature, if you get a good price on pellets.

I'm not trying to discourage you. We did very well with our pellet stove. Sold it after 5 yrs. and it amply paid itself off. But we had many factors that made the math work such as great price on the stove, self-installed, cheap pellets, rapidly increasing cost of propane and a nice resale price.

HarryBack said:
iceman said:
HarryBack said:
iceman said:
HarryBack said:

Harry,

Wait till you see the new maielr we are sending out! Will be quite interesting to see what comes of it.

when should i be looking for it? black friday??? 50% off lowest price eheheheheehlol

tygrant said:
Hi I would like to replace my gas log insert with a pellet insert, to help save on the gas bill. I don't have any experience with pellet stoves but have been told that it will cost around $2 a day, is that in the ball park?
I want reliability,and as long as possible between adding pellets
What else do I need to know about pellet stoves? What are the top brands,models?
Thanks Ty

You didn't say if you are burning Nat gas or LP, if it is Nat gas, stay with the inserts that you have. Can you buy pellets for $2 a bag? You will most likely go through a t least a bag a day, maybe even 2. Sharpen your pencil & do the math. Someone gave you some bad $$ information.

Status
Not open for further replies.