Pellet insert on rails/wheels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_ms

Feeling the Heat
Jan 28, 2008
Upstate NY on VT Border
Pulling my insert out for cleaning is a PITA and ended up scratching my slate hearth.
Has anyone done a do it yourself install for rails or wheels on your insert for easier removal for cleaning?
If so how did you do it?
Mark_ms

I set mine on two sections of galv. pipe and it rolls easily forward and back. 1" galv. pipe cut to the width of the stove. Like our ancestors used to move heavy items on logs.

IMG_0036.JPG IMG_1698.JPG Yes it even wheels outside.

Reactions: Mark_ms
If we could copy the M55's design, it would be great!

I've got an M55 insert and it seems like you guys could copy it pretty easily. It uses approx. 1" dia. x4 ball bearings to roll on. Then you could buy some angle iron to roll it on. The biggest challenge would be having a structural part of the stove down at the bottom to drill into for the ball bearing's axles.

Hellfire, are those wheels directly connected to stove? or did you have to attach the wheels to metal bar (I can't think of correct term) and then to stove?

Hellfire, are those wheels directly connected to stove? or did you have to attach the wheels to metal bar (I can't think of correct term) and then to stove?
Hello ,Mark_ms What got me thinking about installing the wheels was when i picked it up from the local dealer ,as it was bolted fast to a shipping pallet ,as it turned out (see photo) the OEM had bolts threaded in to the bottom of the stove for transport (thanks st croix) W/pallet attached w/3/8" bolts.
So a short trip to TSC ,got some 3/8" diameter stem rubber wheeled casters that fit perfect.

The cool thing about it, is that i put a large cookie sheet that holds a rag for glass cleaning ,gloves for well you know & cardboard to set my ash door on while emptying the ash drawers on the cookie sheet (photo 2)
Another bonus is i take it outside for a good cleaning.

But most important is that allows for access to repairs & maintenance for the stove.(note on photo 3 on R/S) i installed a plug disconnect for a number of reasons: 1st it allows me to keep a short pigtail as i hate long cords .2nd I do not have to fish the cord back through the moulding/wall.(that is a PITA).

As for installing your own wheels i would suggest welding casters that have the square mount type brackets on them, just figure the wheel diameter + clearance issues you may run into.

BTW I locked the casters stem w/3/8" nut.
Any other ? `s you have i will check back then. Hellfire,IMG_1897.JPGIMG_1898.JPGIMG_1899.JPG

Hellfire thanx for info, I guess when I pull stove out again I will see if I might have the same type of possible setup as you. Thanx for pics too!:cool:

Anytime ,good luck:) --- Just remember that if you weld anything w/electronics ie :( control board still installed )be sure to remove them as the pulse/arc would most likely destroy them ! Mucho $$$$.

Also look for casters that are not using rivets(for the assembled wheel ) but bolts TOO!

I almost forgot do not forget the weight rating!

Status
Not open for further replies.