Pellet inserts? What one is best :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babalu87

Nov 23, 2005
middleborough, ma.
A friend added an addition on his home and found out that he needs more heat and asked about inserts. I dont know squat about them but figured this is the place to beat the bushes.

I figure he wants something around 1500 sq feet heating capacity or even bigger

EDIT
How about battery backup in case the power goes out??????????????

I'm biased by personal experience towards the Quadrafire 1200i. It's well made and reliable and very low maintenance, unless one is anal about glass cleaning. Though when I bought our unit, the new Mt. Vernon wasn't around. So for buying one today - If they want tried and true, consider the 1200i. If they want state of the art, check out the new Mt. Vernon.

He needs help because he is drunk all the time? heh

Anyway... The Quadrafire Mt Vernon AE has the option to hook it to a 12V deep cycle marine battery. But I think it might be too large for the area you are looking for. Might not be too bad if you run it on low or medium most of the time though.

Nice setup My company's Ammaretto on the bar, and a Miss Mantown calender on the wall.
nuff of that
You mentioned a insert though I didn't see a chimney are they looking at a ZC setup? Or would a freestanding be possible?

The insert would be upstairs from the bar, as you know the bar should be a bit cooler than the living area.

babalu87 said:
Thanks BG

Come one people, I need some input to give him.

This is why he needs the help. It is the basement of his addition http://www.nemasketbrewing.com/bar.asp

Is this a real commercial establishment or some guys's house? If it's his house then he has the greatest wife on the planet (except for my own who just agreed that we need a pellet stove because she's tired of freezing her arse while still paying $1500/yr for nat. gas)

Been looking at the Quadrafire insert, too, the Mt Vernon, I think the "look" goes with my room and I'm looking to heat 1600sq ft with tons of north facing windows, so I need btus !!!!

It is his house, he is an avid home brewer and might I say he is quite good at it as well.

The calendars and bar make it manland, I suspect that he could get away with those calendars in other ares too such as a seperate shop building, aka manland.

Given the friend's inability to do this research himself I would also point him towards a time proven and minimal maintenance stove with a large hopper so he can ignore it for a good long time. Definitely auto ignition and thermostat controlled.

I would consider the Harman Accentra insert. I have the Harman xxv stove and my sister in law has the Harman Accentra insert and loves it. She had the Quad Castile insert and it was too small so she traded it in on the Harman and likes it better.

ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.