Q&A PELLET INSERTS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I AM LOOKING AT PELLET INSERTS. ONE DEALER TELLS ME I HAVE TO USE A 3" VENT JUST 10' UP INTO THE EXISTING MASONRY CHIMNEY AND ANOTHER TELLS ME HE WON'T SELL A STOVE UNLESS IT'S VENTED TO THE TOP! WHO IS RIGHT? THE STOVE IN BOTH CASES IS A WHITFIELD ADVANTAGE. THANK YOU.....JIM BRANDON 718-579-1273
SAFETY IS OUR FIRST THOUGHT

Answer:

Whatever the whitfield manual says should be taken into account. My feeling is that both situations will work, but the lining to the top will negate some potential problems, mostly with possible condensation. Most Pellet manufacturers do recommend a lining to the top, the reason being that the 3" pipe is so much smaller than the fireplace chimney that the flue gases may cool excessively when released into the larger flue.

Since the pellet stove uses a forced draft, this should not affect the operation of the unit. It could, however, shorten the life of the 10' pipe or possible affect the chimney in other ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.