1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biglumber

Biglumber Member

Loc:
    Colorado
    I'd like to seal the thimble gap(area between the thimble and the pipe passing thru) with something to block the draft coming in the house. I'm using pellet-vent double wall(simpson).
    Any recommendations?

TIA

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BignBeefy

BignBeefy Member

Loc:
    Sandown,NH
    Did you caulk outside the house?
  3. HD41

HD41 Member

Loc:
    Northern Ohio
    I found painters caulk is adequate to seal edges of the wall plates to the siding outside, drywall inside and for inlet tubing, minimal heat in these areas. Suggest High temp silicon sealer available at hardware and building supply stores for the double wall exhaust pipe to the wall plates. No need for anything like furnace cement as with wood burning stoves. As a temporary stopgap I stuffed some aluminum foil seal around to the pipe because that is what I had.
  4. pete324rocket

pete324rocket Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    albert county, new brunswick
    Seems to me I was going to buy special fireproof packing material but realized it wasn't that hot and used fibreglass insulation packed tightly since loosely doesn't stop any air-assuming you mean between pipe and thimble.Someone say so if this is bad advice but it works for me.
  5. jtp10181

jtp10181 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    Use black silicone caulk. That will withstand the heat the best.
  6. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    the area between the pipe and the inside of the passthrough thimble were not intended to be filled, this is a standoff for the clearance to combustibles for the pass through of the pipe. better to seal the seams around the pipe inside and out with high temp rtv, i would strongly suggest contacting simpson duravent and checking before inserting any materials into that void. number for their tech line is 800-835-4429, or e mail them via the contact us at www.duravent.com
  7. Biglumber

Biglumber Member

Loc:
    Colorado
    Thanks guys. I won't be rock wooling the thimble. Any ideas where I can find this high temp rtv?
  8. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Lowe's and Home Depot in the caulk department. ACE Hardware back with the stove pipe stuff.
  9. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  10. Biglumber

Biglumber Member

Loc:
    Colorado
    BeGreen, Thanks for the tip.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.