Pellet Inventory at Non-Box stores

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glosta

Nov 1, 2009
North of Boston
With the big box stores cleaning out their remaining pellet inventory any chance we'll see the non-chain pellet dealers lower their cost as we approach shoulder season? Given the huge amount of pellets sold at the box stores this year, I can't imagine the inventory the little guys must be sitting on. Hate to see the little guys take it on the chin , but I can't imagine tying up that much overhead until next season. I imagine some of them will cut bait and lower the cost to maybe $200 - $225 per ton??? Even with the lower cost they still might get hung with inventory because so many of us loaded up at the box stores at $178 per ton. Could see some pretty "interesting" spring pricing.

Box stores may have put a dent in the pellet house sales, But I can assure you they sold there fair share. The top shelf stuff is "NOT" sold at the box stores! I personally bought 2 tons(1 Cubex and 1 Hamer) from the local pellet houses.

And an insider answer for you.(from guess who :) )
UNTIL retailers start to offer the pre-season special (Not all manufactures will play that game this year by the way) I doubt you will see really anyone lower their prices……there is probably still about 3-4 weeks of winter still left and everyone I know is still very very busy……..

Let’s get real here……if you were used to burning 3 tons of pellets in a normal winter, I bet you are going to use 4.5 this season…..oil is high, pellets are a bargain……pellet users should stock up, I doubt prices will be this low ….this time next year

I started gettining an itchy trigger finger a few weeks ago (down to 30 bags of Hamer's in the stash). Lowe's and HD are sold out in my area and, " ... we're done for the season". I tried 4 bags of Harwood heat from TSC ... they were OK I guess but, I wasn't really feeling it for $225/ton. Was on the way back from church this morning and followed up on a lead from my father. A local hardware store has a dozen or so skids of Hamer's @ $219/ton. I'm grabbing one tomorrow! I'd stock up with more but, I'm space limited to 4 tons and want to take advantage of the pre-buy and 50% off delivery from the hearth folks I bought my stove from. They've got Turman's @ $240/ton so, I'm going to have them drop 3 tons ... with the left-over Hamer's, I should be mostly set for next season.

I probably would have gotten to this state of pellet addiction on my own but, the atomosphere here is enabling. I so badly want "Pellet Pig" status that's why I'm holding out on the location of this deal until I've got mine secured. I know, it's not like I'm being asked for the last lighter in a crack-house but ... I, me, mine!

That was a rather grabby post last evening. My apologies. I did manage to secure a ton today. The pellets are stored out of doors but, look none the worse for the wear. For any S. Central PA folks here ... the can be had for $219 @

J & W Hardware Inc
1060 Old Trail Rd
Etters, PA 17319
717-938-8063

Real nice folks there ... they suggested to check back in a few weeks as they may be discounting any remaining stock.

Unless anyone has a clue what will shake out in the middle east over the next few months... BUY NOW.
Oil is headed up, I am not anticipating spring pricing being any better (if even as low) as what we have seen this winter.

Around where I am my local True Valueis cheaper than either HD or Lowes, and they are not the cheapest.

Must vary by region.

Safeway had the highest price, $6 a bag.

Hedging my bets as well. Just bought 2.6 tons of CleanFire Pacifics from pelletsales.com for $250/ton, delivered no less. That'll give me approximatley 5 tons after finishing off one more ton for this year going into next year. I figure that'll last me the next 2 winters for sure. Oil is going UP!! Lousy bastards!

I'm sitting pretty on 2.5 tons Should finish out this year on the half ton plus some shoulder season stock. The remaining two tons will get me through next season. If the little guys run spring specials, I'll probably grab another ton. Last year I carried 20 bags into the 2010 - 2011 burn season. This year I'll be carrying 2-3 tons into the 2011-2012 burn season. Hard to pass up the current pricing.

mascoma said:
Unless anyone has a clue what will shake out in the middle east over the next few months... BUY NOW.
Oil is headed up, I am not anticipating spring pricing being any better (if even as low) as what we have seen this winter.
Looks like you are going to be right, even if the oil situation is all hype. Even you have to pay a little interest on the purchase, you most likely will be ahead. This swell in oil hysteria looks like a repeat of Spring 2008. Cost of everything will go up. With the Northeast 90% oil dependent for heat, we should anticipate a lot of motion toward pellets and cord wood. I ordered another 3 tons tonight. Still can get them for $199 delivered in my garage. Locally produced and bought from a small business man. That will give me 6 tons going into the next season. Game on.

I called to have my oil tank filled today....im hoping with burning the pellets ive only gone through 100 gallons so far., will see tomorrow...im gonna buy 1 ton of presstologs from Kmart if they ever drop their price.($260 a ton)..and a ton of comy cozy's from a non-box store..Both are stored inside,or under cover..still can get $200 MWP pellets, but wont go there again. Hope someone starts selling some of those fancy inported hardwood pellets up here in northern Maine. :coolsmirk:

Attachments

• stove 002.jpg
    stove 002.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 192
Status
Not open for further replies.