Pellet Log Findings / What are your thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maul4life

Nov 20, 2013
Fairbanks, AK
So, as part of our borough exchange program for wood stoves, I received a 'cord' of pellet logs from a producer in North Pole. I had burned their first iteration of log and was not impressed, however...they were not bad. I was using split/seasoned wood and filling in with the Idaho Logs, which burned very well.
I talked with the kind folks and was told that these were really meant to, "burn with regular wood...not alone". To me, this is completely acceptable as I am using them to help stretch this seasons meager wood supply.
What I am finding is this: These pellet logs burn extremely hot. Even with the BK cat turned down to, well below, 1...the stove will run about half way up the temperature probe. This will last for about 2.5 hours, then slowly drop over the next hour and a half. This gives me, roughly, a 4 hour burn on these logs. However, when I burn them with other wood...the heat from these little beauties appears to 'burn up' my standard wood a lot faster. If I load 6 pieces of birch into the BK, turn her down to 1 and walk away....I can get burns well over 8 hours. If I load the same 6 pieces of birch WITH the addition of a pellet log...I am getting 6 hours out of the same weight of wood....PLUS a pellet log. Does this make any sense? Am I just to unscientific to process what is happening?
I would love any input out there...even if it is telling me I am crazy.
Thanks for your time,
PB

Status
Not open for further replies.