Pellet Mishap (links work now)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

Minister of Fire
Nov 21, 2005
Casper Wyoming
This person had some pellets fall in front of the convection tubes and apparantly one of them was expelled burning their carpet. It filled their entire house with smoke. The children were the only ones home (old enough to be alone) and with their quick thinking they immediately exited the home and called the fire department who arrived within minutes and stopped the fire before it spread. Scary stuff. Little details.

your links to the images dont work here ither

Still not working for me. I notice the word "session" in the url. Is this some service that you have to log on to to see the photos? If so, you will probably have to download them and attach to a post.

Corey

Links are coming through now. Wow - from all that ash up there, I would say they had "chronic problems" with pellets getting in by the tubes. Looks like there must have been handfulls of them considering what was still on the stove and what looks like blew out on the floor!

Corey

Something doesn't seem right there. Only thing that gets up there on
our stove is ash.

It seems weird the pellets were down in there. Maybe the kids filled it and spilled some or something I didn't ask about that the insurance co. wanted me to look at it and see if it was due to faulty installation. While the stove was improperly installed, the problems with the installation wouldn't have caused the fire. The only reasonable explanation is that one of those pellets ignited and a large enough spark was blown out into the room.

That's something. anyone else see the pictures and think they were keeping their pellets awfully close to the stove?

DavidV said:
That's something. anyone else see the pictures and think they were keeping their pellets awfully close to the stove?

Yes thats pretty close
Imagine if the fire started on that side

DavidV said:

Yes. Even though that wasn't the cause of the fire, it's still not a smart move.

Status
Not open for further replies.