1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

pellet outdoor storage?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Cooper, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Cooper

Cooper New Member

Loc:
    Wilmington,Ma
    How do you guys keep your outdoor pellet stacks dry? Is there a square tarp they sell or any tips?
    I want to stack my own pallets outside and keep moisture out! Thanks for any replies

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. greg13

greg13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CNY
    Plastic tarp & bungee cords.
  3. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    Put em in the basement?
  4. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Best bet is indoor storage. Once the factory outside wrap comes off? All bets are off. . .

If your gonna store outdoors, please have a LARGE tarp.

Pellet bags have a lot of holes in them. So if a bag gets moisture on the outside, it will transfer to the inside.
    SwineFlue likes this.
  5. Bioburner

Bioburner Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    West central Mn
    Vermin hate moth balls-napthalene. Even when I store indoors I salt things with em. I move the pellets into house in late fall and use glue traps.
  6. subsailor

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    It sounds like the OP is planning on buying by the bag and stacking, so he wouldn't have that extra protection you had.
  7. subsailor

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    I agree. Even worse when the only thing under the tarp is the bags. The puddles would be on, or in, them.
  8. latichever

latichever Member

I've stored many tons under tarps with bungee cords, and bricks to hold down the tarp edges. The pellets have stayed dry, but the arrangement is unsightly. Considering that pallets of pallets are fairly standrd in length and width (if not in height given there are 1 ton and 1.3 ton skiffs), I think there'd be a market for a tarp that would go over the pallet like a fitted sheet. It would have some kind of tie on top to neatly gather the excess as the pile goes down, and some kind of waterproof flap on the side to get at the pellets without having to pull the whole cover off.

I live in an urban setting without a garage, but I'm considering something like this, $219.99 at http://www.shelterlogic.com/Product...6bc-4724-849b-9df80095b3e8&CategoryName=Sheds
    [​IMG]
  9. tony58

tony58 Member

Loc:
    Joelton,Tennessee(Near Nashville)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Do the mice/rats eat the pellets or just make holes looking for something to eat?I'm using some pellets thats been in a shed for 2 years.The last few bags had small holes in them.Guess I'II have to get some bate out...
  10. glenc0322

glenc0322 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    long Island NY
    I store them inside and in the basement also have a dehumidifier in the same room during the summer works good for me except loading them in the basement sucks
  11. DOLLARBILL

DOLLARBILL Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Between Augusta and Lewiston Maine
    my delivery person stacks them for me of course for a little extra well worth it and they are always inside!
  12. mralias

mralias Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MA
    Besides covered real good, keep them off the ground.

Side note: A few years ago I stored two tons of hardwood pellets outside, covered with two tarps and on pallets stacked two high. I did clear snow or water off the top of the covers and around the sides when I saw it. All 100 bags were fine with no water damage or moisture issues, no rodent issues after 1 year outside. I do now store 4 tons inside only.
  13. gfreek

gfreek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful Attica/Varysburg,New York
    I stored 2 tons in a vinyl garage like above. Used pallets to keep off the ground, and double wrapped them with tarps. Mice & squirrels got into some of the bags, so there were about 6 bags that I didn't use figuring too much moisture,,, afew were just junk with moisture...