pellet outdoor storage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooper

Nov 13, 2011
Wilmington,Ma
How do you guys keep your outdoor pellet stacks dry? Is there a square tarp they sell or any tips?
I want to stack my own pallets outside and keep moisture out! Thanks for any replies

Plastic tarp & bungee cords.

Put em in the basement?

Best bet is indoor storage. Once the factory outside wrap comes off? All bets are off. . .

If your gonna store outdoors, please have a LARGE tarp.

Pellet bags have a lot of holes in them. So if a bag gets moisture on the outside, it will transfer to the inside.

Reactions: SwineFlue
Vermin hate moth balls-napthalene. Even when I store indoors I salt things with em. I move the pellets into house in late fall and use glue traps.

also when using a tarp, you will have condensation i had big puddles on top of pallets but the cover stopped penetration

It sounds like the OP is planning on buying by the bag and stacking, so he wouldn't have that extra protection you had.

yes but my point is there were huge puddles on top of the pallets while under cover not good

I agree. Even worse when the only thing under the tarp is the bags. The puddles would be on, or in, them.

I've stored many tons under tarps with bungee cords, and bricks to hold down the tarp edges. The pellets have stayed dry, but the arrangement is unsightly. Considering that pallets of pallets are fairly standrd in length and width (if not in height given there are 1 ton and 1.3 ton skiffs), I think there'd be a market for a tarp that would go over the pallet like a fitted sheet. It would have some kind of tie on top to neatly gather the excess as the pile goes down, and some kind of waterproof flap on the side to get at the pellets without having to pull the whole cover off.

I live in an urban setting without a garage, but I'm considering something like this, $219.99 at http://www.shelterlogic.com/Product...6bc-4724-849b-9df80095b3e8&CategoryName=Sheds
70333_230x230_01.jpg

Vermin hate moth balls-napthalene. Even when I store indoors I salt things with em. I move the pellets into house in late fall and use glue traps.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Do the mice/rats eat the pellets or just make holes looking for something to eat?I'm using some pellets thats been in a shed for 2 years.The last few bags had small holes in them.Guess I'II have to get some bate out...

I store them inside and in the basement also have a dehumidifier in the same room during the summer works good for me except loading them in the basement sucks

Besides covered real good, keep them off the ground.

Side note: A few years ago I stored two tons of hardwood pellets outside, covered with two tarps and on pallets stacked two high. I did clear snow or water off the top of the covers and around the sides when I saw it. All 100 bags were fine with no water damage or moisture issues, no rodent issues after 1 year outside. I do now store 4 tons inside only.

I stored 2 tons in a vinyl garage like above. Used pallets to keep off the ground, and double wrapped them with tarps. Mice & squirrels got into some of the bags, so there were about 6 bags that I didn't use figuring too much moisture,,, afew were just junk with moisture...

Status
Not open for further replies.