Pellet Pail

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kbjelka

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2008
Western CT
For any of you who have not seen this check out the Pellet Pail. I've been using mine for more than a year now and love it. Just drop the bag in and lift it out. Comes with a scoop. Holds a full 40 pounds and works like a charm. It’s expensive but it’s built like a tank, looks great next to the hearth, and works as advertised. Over four tons opened and I have no regrets. There are few products these days are built this sturdy. There are plenty of cheap alternatives but I think this thing is worth the expense.

http://www.pelletpail.com

Nice but to expensive for me . I like the cuter in the bottom .

Funny, I actually did something very similar on request of the wife. I took an empty compound bucket and placed 2 garden spades in it and works very similar as the PelletPail. I should have patented it. LOL

KatWill said:
Funny, I actually did something very similar on request of the wife. I took an empty compound bucket and placed 2 garden spades in it and works very similar as the PelletPail. I should have patented it. LOL
You should have patented them and then sold them on an infomercial on tv.

I could have had it right after the P90x Infomercial. I will post a pic of it. Its quite simple actually. All i did was place wood strips on the bottom of the bucket with a screw facing up and screwed the handle of the spade onto it. Used wood glue for extra strength. Very Neanderthalish but it works.

Excell said:
Nice but to expensive for me......

I agree...much too expensive for what it is. A 5 gal. pail, and utility knife will do the same.

But, to each his own.

Ninety bucks for that???? LOL. Well there is one born every minute, so they'll at least sell one.

Nice idea,but way over priced in my book I will stick to a razor knife that I paid .99 cents for.

Yikes! 90 Bucks?!?! I only want to lift that 40# bag once per replenishment. Slice the bag open with scissors or a utility knife and dump it in the hopper. Easy as pie.

Timbo, keep in mind that a Capitalistic society thrives on the laziness of its citizens. LOL. Anything that is going to make things easier for lazy folks is going to have customers.

KatWill said:
Timbo, keep in mind that a Capitalistic society thrives on the laziness of its citizens. LOL. Anything that is going to make things easier for lazy folks is going to have customers.

I guess but the way I calculate it, you have to lift 40# to get the bag in the bucket, lift it up again to let the pellets drain out the bottom into the bucket (albeit, it does get lighter the longer one holds it up over the bucket, but still) and then lift the bucket at 40# to get the pellets into the hopper. That's ultimately a total of 120# of lifting to get 40# of pellets in the hopper!

Somehow, I don't see that as easier...sorry, I studied ergonomics in college...it made me somewhat anal when it comes to this sort of stuff ;-)

True, but there is one thing that was missed in that equation: Makes it easier for Gradma to place pellets into the hopper using the shovel provided, Plus, its another "toy" pelletheads will have. LOL.

OK, I will give you that...but grandma still has to lift the bag twice (once into the bucket and then lift it again to empty it = 80#)...after that, it's gravy (if you use the sccop)...but SOOOOOOOOOOO slow....:)

In regards to the "toy aspect", you're right...we all do like our toys, indeed....and it seems, the older we get, the more expensive they become, which probably supports your "Capitalistic Society" theory...hehe

I bought a 10 gallon galvanized pail at Tractor Supply, put metal "teeth" in the bottom that are welded to a metal plate and liquid nailed plate to the bottom of the pail. 20 bucks for pail. Spray painted pail to match stove. Paint $5.

I've seen some of these home made copies and for some of them I would want to make sure my tetanus shot was up to date. I don't have a PHD in ergonomics but I do know that filling my Castine insert from the bag is awkward because the hopper is right up against the hearth. I never have to look for a knife. The scoop is great for both the first 1/4 of the bag and for topping it off after packing the pellets back. Filling it straight from the bag I also have no control over the fines. In the pail I can sift bottom after ten or fifteen bags if I get some dusty pellets. The thing is well, built, well designed, and well worth it IMHO. I'm sure it will well out last my stove. I spent $50 tonight on paper towels and toilet paper so I don't think the cost is way out of line. There are few things I buy that surpass my best expectations and this is one of them.

Wow, its amazing what they can get people to buy. I use the burn pot scraper to poke a whole in my bags and just dump them in..... If you cannot lift a 40 pound bag of pellets, you can buy a huge rubber maid tote for like 8 bucks....and use a margarine container for a scoop.... and your ahead 80 bucks.

even if I had that the wife and kids STILL would not fill the hopper.

havlat24 said:
Wow, its amazing what they can get people to buy. I use the burn pot scraper to poke a whole in my bags and just dump them in..... If you cannot lift a 40 pound bag of pellets, you can buy a huge rubber maid tote for like 8 bucks....and use a margarine container for a scoop.... and your ahead 80 bucks.

I didn't spend four grand on a cast iron insert and surround only to have a Rubbermaid tub and a margarine tote sitting next to it.

magsf11 said:
even if I had that the wife and kids STILL would not fill the hopper.

My wife fills the stove all the time but my two year old just likes to throw the pellets around the dining room with the scoop.

Groundhog said:
I didn't spend four grand on a cast iron insert and surround only to have a Rubbermaid tub and a margarine tote sitting next to it.

Now THAT'S funny! :lol:

That is pretty funny. I must confess I rec'd a pellet pail for a Christmas gift last year. I like it very much; it's easy to pour the pellets in, I don't have to scoop if I don't want to, and I don't have to worry about the plastic from the bag melting on my stove. To each his own...

Forgive a naive newbie... if I fill my stove cold then the bag won't really be an issue, it's only if you want to fill the stove hot that this pail is necessary, isn't it? And then I'm not supposed to have the top open while I'm actively burning, so....?? Like I said, I'm new to this, have yet to even get the whole thing going. Have the stove in the living room, along with all the piping, but haven't actually started the install. Saving that for the weekend. But that's another story. :cheese:

Ok.... I have to get in on this one..... If you own a chop saw and maybe a table saw, (and still have all your fingers) throw one of these together in about 2 1/2 weeks of puttering. Holds 10 bags of pellets (10 or so days worth) I also choose to filter the fines..... (just cut the bag and let the pellets roll down the filter screen...has a side vac port for sucking the dust). Then my wife or I can scoop a manageable ~20 lbs of pellets using the coal hod to fill the hopper in about 4 scoops (80lb hopper). What else do you do in the winter but think of some projects to pass the time..... fill the coal hod with your seasonal flowers or arrangement and it's there till you need it........... :)

Attachments

• Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 475
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 489
  • Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 479
That is really nice . I also like your stove and window arrangement .

Status
Not open for further replies.