Pellet pipe thru the roof?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
Can pellet pipe be used to go straight up and through the roof in leu of a chimney?
John

Yes. You will need to maintain adequate clearances to combustibles (1" through the roof US, 3" canada) -- the pellet vent pipe manufacturers make a section that you can install that runs from your existing ceiling through the attic that accomplishes this.

gw2kpro said:
Yes. You will need to maintain adequate clearances to combustibles (1" through the roof US, 3" canada) -- the pellet vent pipe manufacturers make a section that you can install that runs from your existing ceiling through the attic that accomplishes this.

Thanks ,
And does the rule of extending it 24" above the highest roof point within 10 ft ( chimney regulation ) apply to a pellet vent?
Or being it is a postive flow that would resist any backdraft , it is exempt?
Thanks again,
John

Yes John, in MA you must provide the 24" above the roof as you said.

Steve

OK, so I assume vent pipe size would have to increase to 4" exceeding 15 ft length ?
John

Giovanni said:
gw2kpro said:

Thanks ,
And does the rule of extending it 24" above the highest roof point within 10 ft ( chimney regulation ) apply to a pellet vent?
Or being it is a postive flow that would resist any backdraft , it is exempt?
Thanks again,
John

Not quite. This should get you what you need.

http://www.duravent.com/docs/instruct/L550_Oct07.pdf

John, here is a link to the Simpson Duravent installation file which may help answer some questions for you.

Also, I am right in the middle of a complete install of my own free-standing pellet stove right now and my install includes a simple "T" with cleanout at the bottom out of the back of the stove and a straight 14' run vertically through the ceiling, attic and roof with 3" ventpipe. I can provide you with a lot of good information and assistance if you want to PM me.

Steve

Shortstuff said:
John, here is a link to the Simpson Duravent installation file which may help answer some questions for you.

Also, I am right in the middle of a complete install of my own free-standing pellet stove right now and my install includes a simple "T" with cleanout at the bottom out of the back of the stove and a straight 14' run vertically through the ceiling, attic and roof with 3" ventpipe. I can provide you with a lot of good information and assistance if you want to PM me.

Steve

My vent pipe is supposed to be here on 7/3. Installing an enviro mini (free standing, through the roof) on my second floor, first floor has my breckwell. Where did you get your pipe at?

Hi gw, I got my pipe (Simpson Duravent Pellet Vent Pro) from Franklin Fireplace where I bought my stove.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.