Pellet Plant Fire in Barnstead NH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gbreda

Minister of Fire
Aug 3, 2009
Lakes Region, NH
Must be the new start up from last year: Lakes Region Pellet. WMUR stated the name being Great Northern Pellet. I didnt know they were even operational this year...and only 15-20 miles from me.

Reportedly, the fire appears to have started in sawdust in the duct work. Workers tried to extinguish but found the in plant water mains were frozen.
3 alarm fire (no doubt) and the fire dept had trouble using water to penetrate the saw dust, had to change over to foam.

Fire is out after working on it all night and no damage report yet.

This plant just cant catch a break.........

gbreda said:
Must be the new start up from last year: Lakes Region Pellet. WMUR stated the name being Great Northern Pellet. I didnt know they were even operational this year...and only 15-20 miles from me.

Reportedly, the fire appears to have started in sawdust in the duct work. Workers tried to extinguish but found the in plant water mains were frozen.
3 alarm fire (no doubt) and the fire dept had trouble using water to penetrate the saw dust, had to change over to foam.

Fire is out after working on it all night and no damage report yet.

This plant just cant catch a break.........

I posted this last night. There was a thread a week or so ago by someone looking for info on great northern pellets made in Barnstead that were purchased in CT. I had not heard that they were up and running either.

My uncle lives on 126, almost right across the street, I'll see what he has to say.

AVIVIII said:
My uncle lives on 126, almost right across the street, I'll see what he has to say.

Would be nice to find out how they made out. It did not sound encouraging Friday morning on WMUR. I'm in New Durham 2 towns over from Barnstead.

Also, welcome to the forum. Nice set up you have with some great fuel to feed an awesome stove !!!!

gbreda said:
AVIVIII said:

Would be nice to find out how they made out. It did not sound encouraging Friday morning on WMUR. I'm in New Durham 2 towns over from Barnstead.

Also, welcome to the forum. Nice set up you have with some great fuel to feed an awesome stove !!!!

A little bit of what they had planned for the facility:
http://www.nhpr.org/node/16060

My Uncle said that it seems like most of the fire was in the silos and hoppers that the wood chips and pellets were kept in. At less than 1/2 mile away he was surprised that he couldn't even smell it and there was very little smoke. I don't know the status of any of the buildings or anything else though.

Thanks, I'm in Northwood, a couple towns to the SouthEast. I've only had it a week, but the stove is one of the best decisions that I have made lately!

We have had a couple pellet plants go up in smoke here in the past few years.
The last one had a warehouse fire in the packaged products. It buned for days before they could get it totally out.

Fire got deep into the rows and rows of pallets of pellets and inside the huge warehouse it was hard to fight the fire.

Really sad to see all that go up in smoke.

Sawdust and stuff is a problematic item. Fires are not all that uncommon.

I am not sure, but the fire here may have been arson. Possibly an inside job, not sure.

There was suspicions of such.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.