Pellet Price Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy_dan

Dec 26, 2007
Missouri
Is $195 a ton for pennington yellow that says OAK a good price?

Prices vary in different parts of the country. That would be an amazing price right now in New England or the Mid-Atlantic, a good price in Ohio, etc.

So it is probably a decent price where you are, and among the lowest around the country.

Pellets made from Hardwood are not better than those made from Softwood. Since the sawdust is compressed, it ends up being the same denisty anyway.

I understand that and it doesn't matter what species of wood either as it all has the same BTU's per pound.
I am just doing some researching for a companion to my wood stove for when I am out of town for the day like Thanksgiving & Christmas. I do not currently have a pellet stove I was at the local lumber yard picking up some screws and such, and I always go over and look at the wood and pellet stoves, etc.
I have it narrowed down to a direct-vent (not vent-free) propane wall heater or a pellet stove. It won't happen this year but maybe next year.

The Pennington's I tried burned burned dirty but hot compared to Energex, which burned cleaner. At that price I would buy them.

Lignetics are excellent in my estimation. I have burned them and they burn hot and very clean. Window stays nice and clear and not a lot of ash. If you can buy them for that, I say go for it.

I just got a call from a local "supplier" whose list I put my name on when It began looking liek I was going to take this journey in August. (yes that would be a three month wait) for $350 per ton for softwood.
My local Walmart had Pennington for $285 and the local Harman distributor has Michigan softwood I believe for $250.
My local Ace sells Lignetics with a 6 bag minimum. I liked them so much they got sick of me taking 6 bags out of thier display after about the fifth trip and made me go get off the pallet in the warehouse.
I tried brokering a deal where they would waive thier 6 bag limit but it was a no go. $256 a ton for them is a steal.

crazy_dan said:
$195 a ton? I think everyone outside of the New England area that puts these type of posts up are just trying to get us riled up. You are one lucky pellet burner if you actually have to even think about a purchase like that. If you were up here, there would be a wrestling match going on whether they were OAK or not. Happy for you that you are not being ripped off as we up here in the New England area are. Enjoy the burning season.

crazy_dan said:

For an accurate assessment you'd need to compare with
prices in your area. I don't think it's any surprise, ( or
maybe it is to some people) that the cost of living
is less in Missouri than here in New England and on
the East Coast in general.
In other words, what may be a fabulous price for us out here,
might not be such a huge bargain for you. Shop around and
see what other places in your area are getting and you will
have your answer.

Some stats I found on the web. Not sure of the accuracy
but I'm betting it's close. http://www.missourieconomy.org/indicators/cost_of_living/index.stm

$225/ton is average here in Ohio right now...

What's pathetic is that there is a pellet plant 5 miles from my house and there are no pellets in the area. Not even at $300 a ton. It really ticks everyone off here as the company received many tax breaks and were to hire from the area. The last we knew they were shipping out of state and possibly out of the country. They're outside bins are full of material, yet no pellets. I personally feel they are purposely driving the prices up. Well, they can stick'em up their 6. It's cheaper to buy firewood.
Just my .02

Was actually hoping for some people in my area to respond. If you read my 2nd post I do not have a pellet stove just doing my homework before jumping in. I did not put up this post to rile up anyone.

How are pellet stoves for when you are not at home IE away for a day at family's house for holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving? I Love my wood stove. the pellet stove would actually only be used About 10-15 days a year maybe more depends on the weather. I was thinking of picking one up this spring if they go on sale cheap enough or maybe pick up one that was only used this year if oil price stays down. I was thinking that or a couple 30k BTU direct-vent propane wall heater (not vent-free). Each hooked up to a couple of 100 lb bottles with an RV auto switch over regulator.

crazy_dan said:
Was actually hoping for some people in my area to respond. If you read my 2nd post I do not have a pellet stove just doing my homework before jumping in. I did not put up this post to rile up anyone.

How are pellet stoves for when you are not at home IE away for a day at family's house for holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving? I Love my wood stove. the pellet stove would actually only be used About 10-15 days a year maybe more depends on the weather. I was thinking of picking one up this spring if they go on sale cheap enough or maybe pick up one that was only used this year if oil price stays down. I was thinking that or a couple 30k BTU direct-vent propane wall heater (not vent-free). Each hooked up to a couple of 100 lb bottles with an RV auto switch over regulator.
Just joshing about the 'riling' up. Just one of many frustrated New Englander's who cannot understand the the vast price gap among regions in the states. I expect differences in prices in different areas, its just like gasoline, oil, and any consumable. But for there to be a ton for the price of $210 in one region and $350 or more in another, it is simply mind numbing. Were not talking about transporting them in from different countries to here, they are being made in this region and yet we can't get a fair price put on them. Maybe they will get cheaper when the Chinese start importing to us. Somehow they get all kinds of products to us cheaper and it doesn't make sense. Ever look at a box of toothpicks? They come from China. They costs like fifty cents maybe, and somehow they are making money on these things. How can they load up a container ship full of toothpicks and ship it over here and make a profit? How many toothpicks are we using? Just mind numbing, absolutely mind numbing.

crazy_dan said:

Im not in your area, but Ive been involved in the inspection process of some of the installs for the unvented and direct vented propane appliances, as well as having grown up with wood stoves.
If you like a wood stove, their look and feel, go pellet. Propane is ok, but just lacks something. I dunno, they can be pretty but they'll never measure up to a wood or pellet stove. Its like having omlets cooked in bacongrease in a cast iron pan your whole life, then switching to eggbeater omlets cooked in a microwave.

I have a hopper extension on my stove and I can work 24hrs and still have plenty left in the bottom when I come home. Id recommend waiting till there's a glut of stoves and the market is flooded, or keep a casual eye on craigslist this spring and go pellet. Look at a pellet stove as something with all the good parts of the wood stove, without having to cut, split, haul and stack the wood.

Quite a varyance in pellet pricing here in New Brunswick.As is there a diff in Quality of pellets.I try any brand i can get my hands on and test with digital therm, so far Energex(Eastern Plant) has best pellets,love the 1/4 inch size, and run about 70 degree's hotter then the rest, which it states on there website,9000 BTU/Lb, competitions=8000 to 8500 BTU, they must be doing something right.
LG-Granules $4.99/bag -- Curries Home hardware---(Rain Check)
Cozy Comfy $5.65/Bag -- All Kent Bldn Franchise----(Back Order)
Eastern Embers $5.49/bag--Stewarts Home hardware--(Back order)
Lignetics $4.99/bag -- Canadian Tire Corp (Hardwood only)--Rain Check
EnergeX $5.99/bag -- Rona Stores -Edmonston NB (PA Plant)--40 plus pallets in stock(Best on market for me)
Below is a pic of LG granules on Left side,and EnergeX on the right,no idea what makes them so dark, but no smell, very little ash, clean window, i'm sold..

Attachments

• tn_IMG_0403.JPG
    tn_IMG_0403.JPG
    350 KB · Views: 338
Status
Not open for further replies.