Pellet prices are insane,at these prices oil looks attractive

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, looks like I just got a pellet stove at the right...er wrong time?

Reactions: JRA
Honestly, I don't know why my oil delivery was so cheap, but looking at online oil prices, the Portland area is about $2.11:
http://maineoil.com/zone1.asp?x=0

Southern Maine is also quite cheap, within a few pennies of the Portland area. For some reason, Central Maine where I am is always more, as you can see in the following price table:
http://maineoil.com/zone2.asp?x=0

$2.39 is the lowest, and the average is quite a bit higher. If I go to my fuel company's website and place an online order, it's:
Screenshot 2015-03-28 14.24.56.jpg
So, it's up 10 cents since a week and a half ago, but still pretty cheap for my area. Unusual, since they're usually the highest in my area.

Just looked at the local distributors website, pre buys for high grade pellets average 335 to 350 a ton.
With the retail price for next season at 350 to 375 a ton. The exact pellets I bought 2 seasons ago have gone up almost 100 a ton. Come on a 30% increase in two years
Now I have to say I like my distributor and have been willing to pay a slightly higher price for service,but this is ridiculous .
At these prices it will be less expensive to burn oil .
Is this normal pricing in the market now ?
Maybe I should just find another distributor.
I know that trucking is expensive and a large contributor to what they charge, but diesel is down almost 2 gal over a year ago.
If they are looking for the max that a consumer is willing to spend per ton I think they found it.

Guy in Nebraska claims propane is down to 79.9 cents a gallon!!

I wonder why oil is less expensive in Taxachusetts than it is in "Live Free or Die" New Hampshire?
2 billion gallons of petroleum products pass through Cape Cod Canal in barges and tankers each year
in theory, the closer you live to the distribution center and wholesaler where those barges and tankers terminate the cheaper your oil will be accounting for transportation costs.

Ill still happily burn some pellets this winter. When its -5F or below and my heating system cant keep the house at 70 on goes the pellet stove. Also its the only heat Ive got when the electricity goes out.

I wonder why oil is less expensive in Taxachusetts than it is in "Live Free or Die" New Hampshire?

From my understanding it comes down to delivery costs. All HHO in the region gets delivered to a distribution station in Boston and price per gallon goes up as it gets delivered to suppliers farther west or north.

2 billion gallons of petroleum products pass through Cape Cod Canal in barges and tankers each year
in theory, the closer you live to the distribution center and wholesaler where those barges and tankers terminate the cheaper your oil will be accounting for transportation costs.
From my understanding it comes down to delivery costs. All HHO in the region gets delivered to a distribution station in Boston and price per gallon goes up as it gets delivered to suppliers farther west or north.

All great in theory, but it took me no less than a few minutes to compare So. NH prices to Mass prices. Even places that are more difficult to reach and father away (small towns off of Rt2) are on average $0.10 a gallon cheaper than So. NH which is easily accessible to the Boston ports on Rt93 or 95. In fact, oil is $0.15 less in the Berkshire mountains of western Mass than it is South Central NH. For those unfamiliar, typically So. Central NH is about 40 miles north/west of Boston, the Berkshires are 120 miles west of Boston.

(I was a little surprised that my phone was telling me someone had replied to a 4 month old post!)

All great in theory, but it took me no less than a few minutes to compare So. NH prices to Mass prices. Even places that are more difficult to reach and father away (small towns off of Rt2) are on average $0.10 a gallon cheaper than So. NH which is easily accessible to the Boston ports on Rt93 or 95. In fact, oil is $0.15 less in the Berkshire mountains of western Mass than it is South Central NH. For those unfamiliar, typically So. Central NH is about 40 miles north/west of Boston, the Berkshires are 120 miles west of Boston.

(I was a little surprised that my phone was telling me someone had replied to a 4 month old post!)

Dont like opening new repetitive threads that have already been duscussed..

In theory - there are too many business models and contract variations for it to be that simple.

In theory - there are too many business models and contract variations for it to be that simple.

Doesn't matter if you go by low price, high price or average - if you throw out any anomalies, prices just a few miles away across the border in Mass are 15 - 20 cents cheaper. Let's not move the goalposts now.

Status
Not open for further replies.