Pellet PRices in Maine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
strangemainer said:
........Last year I thought I was smart and every bag I lugged in I felt it was saving me money. This year the pellets seem like a luxury.

At $300+/ton with delivery, and with HHO at around $2.00/gal, pellets ARE a luxury, as far as I'm concerned. I'll be burning oil this winter, or until the price of that gets above $2.50/gal. As has been stated above, a LOT easier on the back to just turn the thermostat up than lugging 40lb bags. You can always burn a few bags here and there for ambiance.

Just saw that Lignetics price dropped $20 bucks a ton over the weekend from $319 to $299.99 at Campbell's True Value in Farmingdale, ME. Maybe they are starting to get the hint....

I agree Mac. This will only be my third season burning...but those 3 short years ago I paid 210-220 a ton....and when they started rising they blamed oil and gas prices....now they have come down and where did pellets go? Still went up. I will do the same....going to pick up one more ton of pellets....fill the oil tank....and burn what is cheaper on my wallet. We will soon have FIVE pellet mills in Maine.....absolutely no reason why we cant get the prices they get in the northwest. I'll burn mine for the ambiance if the prices dont get better.

macman said:
strangemainer said:
........Last year I thought I was smart and every bag I lugged in I felt it was saving me money. This year the pellets seem like a luxury.

At $300+/ton with delivery, and with HHO at around $2.00/gal, pellets ARE a luxury, as far as I'm concerned. I'll be burning oil this winter, or until the price of that gets above $2.50/gal. As has been stated above, a LOT easier on the back to just turn the thermostat up than lugging 40lb bags. You can always burn a few bags here and there for ambiance.

Recent Ad in the 'Smart Shopper' for D&J;Hearth:

New England wood pellets
1 ton ---$275
2 ton ---$269
3 ton ---$264
4 ton ---$259

Supply and demand, when demand drops prices will. Not buying this year, have plenty left over from last year.

BillR said:
The TSC in Macedonia Ohio has them for $274.50 with the cupon it is $254.50 plus tax comes to $ 271.04.
My .02

I wonder if that price good in Maine? (Since the topic is "Pellet PRices in Maine")

Romy said:

New England wood pellets
1 ton ---$275
2 ton ---$269
3 ton ---$264
4 ton ---$259

Last year he was $285 for NWP

strangemainer said:
Oh dont get me wrong, I will never heat with oil unless the prices gets crazy like a buck a gallon!
I love my stove and the bone penetrating warmth it provides!
(the kid loves it too!)

But is it worth the intial cost to get in right now? I am locked in to oil at 2.04/gal. for the 09/10 heating season. It is looking like this is not the year (at least at this point in time) to start pellet heat. Last year's oil frenzy is fueling the higher pellet price this year. Add to that the tax credit and stove dealers are not moving on price either.

It would be really nice to heat the basement and get better warth upstairs, but I have lived without that for 16 years in a Cape (1600 Sq ft living area). Dont know about the investment cost right now. But, maybe the lower cost is gone for good.

Anyone with a crystal ball out there ? :cheese:

gbreda said:
But is it worth the intial cost to get in right now? I am locked in to oil at 2.04/gal. for the 09/10 heating season. It is looking like this is not the year (at least at this point in time) to start pellet heat. Last year's oil frenzy is fueling the higher pellet price this year. Add to that the tax credit and stove dealers are not moving on price either.

.....Dont know about the investment cost right now. But, maybe the lower cost is gone for good.....Anyone with a crystal ball out there ? :cheese:

No, no crystal ball here....but we all know that the price of HHO will go back up eventually, and then there will be another big crowd of people who never looked ahead, in a frenzy trying to get stoves.

I say, beat the crowd.....look for a nice, used stove at a low price now.....people are selling them a lot on places like Craig's List, eBay, etc.

My 2 cents....

Romy I just bought 3 tons of Maine Choice at the Oxford Maine Tractor Supply Company for $249 a ton see my post on Storing pellets in a garage.

Sam's in Bangor has a lot of pellets, but I have no way of getting them home. I burned some last year and they were EXCELLENT-hotter and very low ash. Does anyone know of someone in the Bangor area that would deliver 10-11 tons? Thanks!!

BigGuy said:
..... Does anyone know of someone in the Bangor area that would deliver 10-11 tons? Thanks!!

BigGuy, looks like you want to be an instant member of the pellet pig club.. :lol: OINK OINK

Later in the season he jumped up more than that....cause I bought like 15 from him and he charged me 6.00 a bag. AKA....300. The only reason why I bought from him is he is close and it was end of season nearly so didnt need that much and wanted to make sure I had enough.

trbinrat said:
Romy said:

New England wood pellets
1 ton ---$275
2 ton ---$269
3 ton ---$264
4 ton ---$259

Last year he was $285 for NWP

macman said:
gbreda said:

.....Dont know about the investment cost right now. But, maybe the lower cost is gone for good.....Anyone with a crystal ball out there ? :cheese:

No, no crystal ball here....but we all know that the price of HHO will go back up eventually, and then there will be another big crowd of people who never looked ahead, in a frenzy trying to get stoves.

I say, beat the crowd.....look for a nice, used stove at a low price now.....people are selling them a lot on places like Craig's List, eBay, etc.

My 2 cents....

I agree that the time to act is before HHO rises again....and it will. I tend to do my research and in the end I buy what is best for me in quality and yes convenience if it actually helps my situation. I dont buy extravigantly, but I will pay for quality. Just trying to make sure the dollars are worth it.

Used makes sense, but used units on Cragslist are being negated by the 30 % tax credit. I am seeing good stoves being sold for about 2/3 their selling price. Why buy a year or 2 old unit and for the same price (or at best a few hundred below after tax credit) and not have the warranty or dealer support (reputable dealer that is)?

gbreda said:
Used makes sense, but used units on Cragslist are being negated by the 30 % tax credit. I am seeing good stoves being sold for about 2/3 their selling price. Why buy a year or 2 old unit and for the same price (or at best a few hundred below after tax credit) and not have the warranty or dealer support (reputable dealer that is)?

I understand what your saying. However, (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), you don't have to buy a new stove to get the 30% tax credit. You have to have the stove bought and installed during the allotted time frame (2009-10) and have a receipt to prove it. This is the IRS guidelines:

"This consumer tax credit is 30% (with a lifetime cap up to $1500) for the purchase and installation of a 75% efficient stove or insert, and is available in both 2009 and 2010.

The home improvements tax credit applies for improvements "placed in service" from January 1, 2009, through December 31, 2010."

So, you could buy a used stove, or a dealer showroom model or leftover, and still get the credit.

The warranty is another issue, but if you saved enough buying a used stove or leftover plus the tax credit, I think I'd take a chance.

all correct, mac, but the stove has to be CERTIFIED as 75% efficient, many used stoves dont have this certification.

Lousyweather said:
all correct, mac, but the stove has to be CERTIFIED as 75% efficient, many used stoves dont have this certification.

I would guess that most stoves made in the last year or two will meet the criteria.

Lousyweather said:

If a model is being sold today as certified, would a year old stove of the same model be certified as well?

most companies now have a certificate indicating such for the 30%.....dont think I'd assume...rather be sure before I spent the cash

gbreda said:
Lousyweather said:

If a model is being sold today as certified, would a year old stove of the same model be certified as well?
Quite possibly.....you would have to get the specs for the stove, or confirmation from the manufacturer. My 4 year old Avalon Astoria is exactly the same as the new units, and is rated at more than 75%.

Oh, and the IRS doesn't require you to include any copies of the efficiency rating with your return......just go to the company website and print a copy and keep it with your stove.

Pellet prices in Maine? Can we stick to the topic? Anyone seen any deals?

Romy said:
Pellet prices in Maine? Can we stick to the topic? Anyone seen any deals?

Sorry for the slight detour :cheese: , but Pellet prices are exactly what sparked the discussion. I live near the Maine border and the pricing for fuel seems constant in the 280-285 range for qulality pellets. If I were to find a good price in southern Maine, I would pick them up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.