Pellet Prices. PA Pellets vs. Lignetics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saf41679

May 20, 2009
Binghamton, NY
I am currently trying to determine which pellets to buy. This will only be my second season with a pellet stove so im still a newbie. I have a Breckwell Big E and the only brand of pellets i burned were PA Pellets which are a hardwood blend. I have no complaints but also have nothing to compare them too. Currently I can get PA Pellets for $239 ton and Lignetics for $260 ton. I hear the lignetics are very good but are they worth the extra $21? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Steve

I've never tried PA Pellets but the lignetics are a superior pellet......Definitley my 1st choice

It's an OK pellet....More clinkers than the Ligetics for sure....Out of all the pellets I've tried Lignetics is by far the best...With little ash and clinkers and the hottest heat output...Well worth a few dollars more....

Raven20 said:
It's an OK pellet....More clinkers than the Ligetics for sure....Out of all the pellets I've tried Lignetics is by far the best...With little ash and clinkers and the hottest heat output...Well worth a few dollars more....

More clinkers?! say it isnt so! I hope ole BTU isnt reading this........!

Good points all, BTU! I contend though, that the public, in these trying economic times, have to make a value judgement of sorts......basically comparing quality versus price. As a dealer, I want my customers buying the best pellet available, because I know they are going to have less problems with them. BUT, and this is a big point, I cannot ignore the people who cant afford to buy, or insist on buying cheaper product as well. Not to mention, the "all your eggs in one basket" idea.....what happens if the one company goes defunct, burns to the ground, etc? I would rather allow my customers a choice of brands and quality, let them make a decision, and attempt to service a larger sector of the population, rather than a smaller elitist cadre of customers. The best way, I guess, is to have them do exactly what you suggest......try 10 bags or so, THEN make your decision. Some of the folks will agree with you, to be certain, and say 'those Brand A pellets are da BOMB!", while others will try them and say "they are ok, but not $40/ton more better".....etc.....

I have burned PA Pellets in the past and found them to be OK for the price, average heat output & some very long pellets(2.5") and they do leave lots of ash and clinkers. After trying some quality softwood pellets I will never go back to hardwood. Heat output is great and very little ash to deal with. For a .42 cents per bag price difference as you have indicated the Lignetics would be my first choice.

I hate to start a fire storm. But its not feasable to try out Pellets in June. If I want to save some $ need to early buy.
Now that said - I have a choice between Lignetics for few dollars more or the OK's.

Now "clinker " pops in my head and when I was just about to buy - I'm having second and third thoughts. Hope we get some more response from
people who have used them.

J88, I agree with BTU that neither wouldbe a bad choice.

I purchased 3 tons of Lignetics in April and then tried a bag of Okanagan's a few weeks ago and I thought they were fantastic. I believe they were hotter than the Ligs, but I'm not positive after trying one bag. As to clinkers, I didn't notice any. The only slight negative I could give on the OK is that the bag was a bit dusty.

In conclusion, IMHO they smell great, much better than Ligs and given the choice today between Ligs and OK at the same price, I might just go with the OK.

hotpellet said:
after reading these messages, I would tell you all to think about CONSISTENCY of pellets.

We try but sometimes don't get very far. Try this thread where we talked about pellets as a commodity, which is really a doorway into consistency.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/38574/

I re-read and am impressed by the comment of a first season user named Stentor. :) He's worth reading, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.