Pellet prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arti

Feeling the Heat
Feb 14, 2014
South West Wisconsin
Must be plenty of pellets in my area.. I think this is a local special.
Menards has a sale on Indek pellets for $199 a Ton plus a 11% in store rebate!
That would put them in the 180 a ton range.

Very, very ashy pellet and they smell like a swamp (at least last year's did). I didn't have any other choices last year which made me start looking farther afield for other options and try to be more prepared for this year. My previous supplier was getting Heartlands (ponderosa pine) consistently - their supplier switched to Indeck - my supplier was charging the same price as the Heartlands for a very, very inferior pellet ($6.50/bag). Hubby didn't realize it was a different pellet until he got them home and was already unloading... While supply was an issue last year with the Heartlands, they haven't switched back so I'm thinking they like the increased profit margin. Having lived through using Indecks, I'll pay more for my pellets thanks....

Reactions: Cory S
Last year the Menards in my area had Marth pellets, which are a step up from Indeck, IMO. Indecks have improved from a couple years ago -- I'm burning them with temperatures in the 40s, and they do OK. The first time I tried them a few years back, they didn't want to ignite. They were very dark, like they had a high bark content..

The biggest problem I have with them this year is that the waterproof wrapping is inadequate to protect the skids from the elements. I brought a pallet home and had to return five or six bags because they had big, wet clumps in them. EVERY bag on the pallet had some moisture on the outside. Whether that was rain leaking in or condensation or both, I'm not sure.

I used some last year they were Ashey for me they did get me thru for awhile, When Menards switched to Marth I bought an extra ton which is in my basement along with some Country Boy White Lightnings that I like.
With the 2 ton of pellets and a couple of ton of Corn I feel like I'm ready for winter. I have a pellet burner in my shop and it's almost tempting to buy some Indek's and keep the shop a bit warmer.
A friend of mine bought Indek;s this year and has the same problem with moisture and clumps in the pellets.

Marth's are a step up from the Indecks - more heat less ash in comparison. Only problem is that if I'm going to drive that far 1-3/4 hours, I want a better pellet .... What are the Marth's going for this year?

I got some to mix branded as Superior from Fleet Farm for $224 for 50 bags.

I have burned Indecks for the last couple years and can't complain. Clean and throw good heat. But as had been said, Marth is a step up. Burned them years ago when they were around. I have also burned Pennywise. They are dirty,but throw good heat. Local Menards is 4.53 a bag, and then 11% off. Tad high

I got some to mix branded as Superior from Fleet Farm for $224 for 50 bags.
Yep, I'm pretty sure Superior is a Marth brand, as is Pennywise. I think the main difference between Marth and Pennywise is that you can stick your fingers through the Pennywise bags if you aren't careful!

I got in an early buy at TSC, hoping they'd have Pro Pellets again like they had last year. No such luck -- my choice was Indecks or Ozark Hardwood. I'd never tried Ozarks before but I did some online research and decided to take the plunge. I hedged my bet with a ton of Indecks on top of three tons of Ozarks. Once I got the Indecks home and spotted the wet bags, I was glad I got just a ton.

One good thing about the Indecks, though -- not many fines this year.

I used some last year they were Ashey for me they did get me thru for awhile, When Menards switched to Marth I bought an extra ton which is in my basement along with some Country Boy White Lightnings that I like.
With the 2 ton of pellets and a couple of ton of Corn I feel like I'm ready for winter. I have a pellet burner in my shop and it's almost tempting to buy some Indek's and keep the shop a bit warmer.
A friend of mine bought Indek;s this year and has the same problem with moisture and clumps in the pellets.

I have never seen Country Boy pellets around here. Where are they made?

A vendor nearby sells Somersets, and I'll probably pick up a couple of tons after I burn through some of my TSC stash. I still have nearly a ton of Sets in the basement from last season along with the TSC stuff. It's getting hard to move around down there!

Marth's are a step up from the Indecks - more heat less ash in comparison. Only problem is that if I'm going to drive that far 1-3/4 hours, I want a better pellet .... What are the Marth's going for this year?

Marth are 239 ton in this area. Menards don't have them this year so the closest would be 30 miles one way to haul them.
The White Lighnings works better in my stoves, Bought from my local Harman dealer for 229 ton.

$239 is ridiculous for Marths.

A month or six weeks ago I was at my local Farm & Fleet and checked out their price on Lumberjacks. They wanted $5 a bag! Stopped in at the store last week and noticed they had regained their senses a bit and were selling them for $4.49. Still more than I'm willing to pay for a pellet that really went downhill in quality last year.

Lakegirl, do you get any of the Michigan pellets up there, like Kirtlands or Vulcans?

I have never seen Country Boy pellets around here. Where are they made?

A vendor nearby sells Somersets, and I'll probably pick up a couple of tons after I burn through some of my TSC stash. I still have nearly a ton of Sets in the basement from last season along with the TSC stuff. It's getting hard to move around down there!

Country Boy White Lighting. 100% Kentucky Oak hardwood. This pellet comes from Kentucky Hardwood Flooring, low ash 0.25 and 8800 BTU's

Reactions: zrtmatos
$249 for Stove Chow here in central CT. Can you believe that?

You guys in the East do get dinged. Here in Wisconsin we've got three or four decent-sized pellet manufacturers and a big wood industry, so supply is pretty good. We've also got fewer people per square mile burning pellets.

The tradeoff is, it got below -20F last winter with a -50 wind chill! What we saved on price we made up for in volume. ;lol

Reactions: zrtmatos
Three options for your question...
a) that you found pellets at all.
b) the price is higher than you thought.
c) the price is lower than you thought.

Dan ;)

Lakegirl, do you get any of the Michigan pellets up there, like Kirtlands or Vulcans?

No Michigan pellets that I have come across yet. A local trucking firm was bringing in Lumberjacks from Wisconsin but he has closed down because of the paper mill closure. One of the lumber yards in International Falls was bringing in Sommersetts. Not sure what the Menards there are carrying this year...

I was able to get a ton of Sure Fire ($5.50/bag) from the Kenora Home Hardware and 3 pallets (65 bags each so almost 4 tons $6/bag + $50 delivery) of LaCretes from North American Lumber in Fort Frances. Not sure if they are getting anymore in...

I had tried the Marth's last year when my daughter was doing her clinicals in Hibbing, MN - got them from L & M Fleet store. Tried to get the local hardware that was getting the Indecks to at least try and get the Marth's. Wouldn't budge since that is what that supplier was bringing in = easy; same answer this year. I was buying from them exclusively when they were getting Heartlands - $6/bag. Guess I should speak to one of the owners - I prefer to buy local when I can & they are summer neighbors sort of :)

I just installed my first pellet stove .. older (unknown age) used Englander 25-PDV (I think .. not finding a tag on it) ..Soooooo ... was out looking for pellets.
Here in upper Michigan, Home Depot is currently carrying Michigan Wood Fuels (www.michiganwoodpellets.com) for $4.48/bag ... I think they posted $2.14/ton. I got 5 bags, and have one left. Seems to have more ash than I would expect, while not putting out as much heat as I expected.
I just picked up 5 bags of Kirtland pellets from Boyne City, Michigan (only about 20 miles from me), for about the same price. We'll see if they do any better on the heat and ash.

Of course, my expectations may be way off. I burned wood as primary heat for years, in a previous house.
Since, I 'remembered' pellets being arpund $2.79 a bag. Guess that was a while ago. As now, I haven't seen any in the area much under the $5 mark.

Just added a ton of sets to the stash. For a low price of 259.00 a ton. :(
Even no name michigan crap is sky high this year.
Last year I was buying propellets for 189 a ton. This year is closer to 230.

I just installed my first pellet stove .. older (unknown age) used Englander 25-PDV (I think .. not finding a tag on it) ..Soooooo ... was out looking for pellets.
Here in upper Michigan, Home Depot is currently carrying Michigan Wood Fuels (www.michiganwoodpellets.com) for $4.48/bag ... I think they posted $2.14/ton. I got 5 bags, and have one left. Seems to have more ash than I would expect, while not putting out as much heat as I expected.
I just picked up 5 bags of Kirtland pellets from Boyne City, Michigan (only about 20 miles from me), for about the same price. We'll see if they do any better on the heat and ash.

Of course, my expectations may be way off. I burned wood as primary heat for years, in a previous house.
Since, I 'remembered' pellets being arpund $2.79 a bag. Guess that was a while ago. As now, I haven't seen any in the area much under the $5 mark.

I went to my local meijer today and they had over 20 tons of greenway pellets in stock. Every 4 weeks or so the do a 10 or 15% of general merchandise. I think they where $4.58 a bag, so on sale it would be right around $200 a ton.

I went to my local meijer today and they had over 20 tons of greenway pellets in stock. Every 4 weeks or so the do a 10 or 15% of general merchandise. I think they where $4.58 a bag, so on sale it would be right around $200 a ton.
Where abouts do you live?

I will have to keep an eye out at the meijer around me for that deal. How they buring for you?

I will have to keep an eye out at the meijer around me for that deal. How they buring for you?

I wish, I was able to tell ya. I just joined and trying to research and get some knowledge. Looking to get a stove pretty soon. From looking up greenway it looks like most people like them. I am confused why meijer gets there pellets from TN, when there are so many plants in our state. I guess there not into supporting local. the manager said she has already sold 8 tons.

Michigan pellet fuel from holland sucks. At least last years did. I love propellets and alrady have 3 ton of them as well as a ton of somersets in the barn just waiting to get burned.

Status
Not open for further replies.