Pellet prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

livefreeordie

Nov 21, 2010
Rochester, NH
My local lowes guy said that in the next week or two pellet prices will increase as the gas and oil prices jump. He said don't be surprised to see pellets jump to $5 a bag. This is my first year with a pellet stove so i don't know what the prices were last year or the year before. Any of you seasoned guys know if this is true or is it just another sales pitch?

Could be... why would a retailer sell for less than the market will bear?

Thats kind of the way the it goes. When One form of heat rises, The others tend to follow. We have seen pellets at well over $300 a ton. I have seen some places getting $7.50/bag.

Glad I got my multifueler as I can burn what ever is the most frugle for me. These prices were to good to be true and I was betting they would rise. Just hope they stay low a bit longer. I'd like to get enough to finish this season and next.

Well i guess i'll have to buy more pellets this week. Thanks for the input.

I was 'this close' to the SIH plant last night... and i had room on my trailer for two tons... but I had a delivery appt to make so I went without!

livefreeordie said:
Well i guess i'll have to buy more pellets this week. Thanks for the input.

Good idea...

I'm going to need a bigger garage or my summer car needs to get out to make room for more pellets :)

In Anchor town Lowe's is the only game in town and I pay 7.20 a bag for Atlas pellets. Great pellet good heat output and low ash of course that will be coming to end when they run out of their stock since the Atlas went out of business. I will have to look at the Fairbanks option next winter $290 ton. There's the other option of making my own pellets with a company in town Alaska pellet mill www.alaskapelletmill.com/flat_plate_pellet_mills . I have seen the you tube on the ATFP200D is a Diesel Engine powered pellet mill has anyone had experiences with this mill. I would like to wish everyone a great Happy New Year and be safe. AK

livefreeordie said:
I'm going to need a bigger garage or my summer car needs to get out to make room for more pellets :)

I'm in the same boat. Just wondering how many bags of pellets I can fit in my Mustang without overloading the jackstands.... :)

Let me preceed this rant with: This is just my opinion.

Tell the dude at Lowe's to get a job in the stock market, cause he doesn't know crap about the pellet business. If anything thing the price will remain the same, or even go down. To Lowe's, HomeDepot. Walmart and many other retailers, pellets are "seasonal" merchandise. They earn their inventory spot based on sales volume. As far as most manufacturers are concerned, they buying season is over. Both wholesale and retail. What they are dealing with now is retained inventory. They can hope that bad weather will result in some extra sales, but they are now thinking, "how long can we hold on before we need the space?". The BBG's and garden hose orders are coming in, and we need the space. They are not interested in carrying the inventory over.

That said it doesn't mean they are at cost or to be sold at a loss, it means they won't try to wring a few extra bucks by bumping the price because oil is going up. That would be the best way to kill the future business. Locally I have seen the price vary a few dollars per bag, but no radical moves up or down. Until yesterday. A major local maker/wholesaler/retailer just dropped is prices for the first time since June last Summer. He held his prices for his retailers to be competitive, but I suspect he has filled his delivery orders still outstanding and has no big movement planned and is looking at a yard full of pallets. I don't know for sure, but I will check in the next few days. My supplier has dropped the price about 15% since the season began, but has only one pellet brand available, happens to be one I like, but I just got a coupon for 20% off.

All you East Coasters sit down and put the coffee down, too, but I can get them for about $160 a pallet. That's for their unusual load of 52 bags, or $3.07 per bag. That is below what I can pick them up at from the Plant seventy miles away. It is possible the price could drop, but it is unlikely. At the same time a few retailers are still holding to their $5.99 per bag, But their stock is sitting for the most part. The demand is not their to sustain the price, and frankly I don't know what their thinking is.

This time of year, the last few years there was some scrambling for end of season supplies, but generally there is a good supply of pellets. We have four major suppliers in the Rockies coming on line right now. The pine bark beetle infestation has made the raw materials so available, that it is possible the Forest Service will pay a bounty to remove the standing dead (MY speculations only). Without a radical change in the economy things are pretty stagnant for prices. Remember two years ago the big jump in price was the cost of fuel and shipping. With so many local plants available, shipping is less of an issue. Pellets moving from British Columbia to South Carolina is just not going to happen, so you down easters may not get a chance to try Rocky Mountains, Bear Creeks or Western Lignetics, unless you bring some home on your vacation.

For those trapped by local dealers gouging, take down their names and plan to go to their closing business sales. It is real easy to rent or buy a small utility trailer and haul from 100 miles away and come out just fine.

So for the Marketing guru at Lowe's, invest in Countrywide mortgages, after all they are insured and everyone needs to live somewhere.

I'm with littlesmokey. Once the Box stores set EDLP pricing on "seasaonl items", they practically never increase the retail that same season.

Given the current inventory in some of these box stores (20+ pallets still stacked in the rafters), I wouldn't be surprised if we see $162.00 - $172.00 per ton ($3.24 - $3.44 per bag) in the next 3-4 weeks here in New England.

XXV-AK said:
In Anchor town Lowe's is the only game in town and I pay 7.20 a bag for Atlas pellets. Great pellet good heat output and low ash of course that will be coming to end when they run out of their stock since the Atlas went out of business. I will have to look at the Fairbanks option next winter $290 ton. There's the other option of making my own pellets with a company in town Alaska pellet mill www.alaskapelletmill.com/flat_plate_pellet_mills . I have seen the you tube on the ATFP200D is a Diesel Engine powered pellet mill has anyone had experiences with this mill. I would like to wish everyone a great Happy New Year and be safe. AK

I was looking at some of those videos and wondered how much sawdust it take to make a couple of tons, wife would kill me if she saw the back yard full of that. lol

Glosta said:
livefreeordie said:

I'm in the same boat. Just wondering how many bags of pellets I can fit in my Mustang without overloading the jackstands.... :)

Thats funny, put the mustang outside. It won't hurt it, i leave my Benz under wraps all winter with no problems.

Glosta said:
I'm with littlesmokey. Once the Box stores set EDLP pricing on "seasaonl items", they practically never increase the retail that same season.

Given the current inventory in some of these box stores (20+ pallets still stacked in the rafters), I wouldn't be surprised if we see $162.00 - $172.00 per ton ($3.24 - $3.44 per bag) in the next 3-4 weeks here in New England.

Hope your right. The last couple of trips i made to lowes they had plenty of pallets but were on hold for people who pre paid.

Just grabbed ton at local HD here in southeastern ct... $187.00 called all around to the box stores least evening. Lowe's in Killingly has Clean Energy, Stove Chow for $187.00 ton. HD Montville CT Freedom Fuel $187. HD Lisbon, Stove Chow & Freedom Fuel $187. Tractor only has Stove Chow left for $224.50? No Lignetics left :-( buummmeerrrr..... Should try Agway but I think they are around Tractors prices..

Glosta said:

Freedom Fuel at HD in Danvers is 187/ton and I just heard it is 177/ton at the Seabrook location. Is FF any good? It meets the super premium standard yet the online rants are that they are junk.

Been lurking here for a while. Looks like a great site/resource. I just upgraded to a Harman P61A from my Invincible that I had for 14 years.

Just went to lowes here in central VA and they were putting the winter stuff away getting ready for spring. They had 12 ton of somerset sitting up on the racks out of site but they still wanted 310 on. I would love to get some of that stuff but it is to high for now. I am going to wait and see if they come down in a few weeks. I just wish we could get some of those northern prices you guys have. You are very lucky.

bigdaddyste said:
Just went to lowes here in central VA and they were putting the winter stuff away getting ready for spring. They had 12 ton of somerset sitting up on the racks out of site but they still wanted 310 on. I would love to get some of that stuff but it is to high for now. I am going to wait and see if they come down in a few weeks. I just wish we could get some of those northern prices you guys have. You are very lucky.

And we want the prices the guys out west are getting. :) Okies or Eagle Valley Pellets for $160.00/ton and Blazers for $187/ton. Oh my! :sick:

The prices are great out here compared to you guys on the east coast.I bought a ton of blazers yesterday from home depot for $187.We have a lot of hydro power here in Idaho.If pellets get to high we just turn on the electric heat.I think they know that here.We have everything electric.Are power bill was a tad over a hundred dollars.2100 square foot house.tank heaters for horses.Pellet stove.Hot water heater.Well pump.ect,ect.Inferno said once something about regional pricing.I think that is true.Happy new year.

My guess is that if we all go out and buy as many pellets as we can store ,the price will go up for sure .Nothing creates demand better than a shortage .
and if it does go up sooner or later we will be paying the higher price . Just my thoughts .

Harman Lover 007 said:
Glosta said:

Freedom Fuel at HD in Danvers is 187/ton and I just heard it is 177/ton at the Seabrook location. Is FF any good? It meets the super premium standard yet the online rants are that they are junk.

The Freedom Fuel in years past was not a very good pellet. This year's batch was EXCELLENT. Burned hot and clean with very few fines in the bags. It's a smaller size pellet (like Okies) which in my opinion gives the stove a more consistent feed. I'd scoop up a ton, but my local HD (Reading, MA) only has Fireside Ultra's which I found very sooty and left me with several clinkers. I may bite the bullet and rent the truck from the Danvers HD for $19.99 and pick-up a ton of Freedom Fuel.

Excell said:
My guess is that if we all go out and buy as many pellets as we can store ,the price will go up for sure .Nothing creates demand better than a shortage .
and if it does go up sooner or later we will be paying the higher price . Just my thoughts .

Good point, but if we wait and the prices do rise? I have always tried to buy when prices are low. I just don't see them going any lower with fuel prices on the rise. I am not chancing it and topping off the stash. Sure hope I am wrong, But to tough to sit and wait/see what going to happen.

Hello

"To Lowe’s, HomeDepot. Walmart and many other retailers, pellets are “seasonal†merchandise."

Yes, I agree that wood pellets are seasonal to the big box stores but hey it is only the end of December! In the NE Region, I found from experience that wood and pellet stoves typically do not go on clearance until February.

So I really do not see prices going down in this area for one more month. They could possibly go up also. We will see.

P.S. Walmart here is still charging $5.00 per bag down from $6.00 per bag for Nature's Heat. I am surprised they can sell it!

For the last three years, Lowe's has pulled the plug on Seasonal merch in January out here. Last year in particular it was right after New Years. I got a heads up from the Buyer, who was worried about where the Spring stuff would go. By the First of February the patio tables and BBQ's had replaced the stoves, and the accessories were GONE. Take a few minutes and talk to the department head, buyer or zone manager and see when they will go on sale. That doesn't happen with a phone call Saturday morning, they are in track 3-6 months out.

Now comes the hard part. Placed a will call order today for pick up tomorrow. The High lift fork life was down at my suppliers. Ton+ pallet at the dock 10am tomorrow, $137.20. I thought there were 52 bags per pallet, but there is 62. I thought about telling them to take the extra bags off, but bought the service writer coffee instead. :-S

Status
Not open for further replies.