pellet pricing dropping a little

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rayttt

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2008
poconos pa
I just looked at pelletsales.com's prices for my area and it has dropped another 10 bucks down to 269 a ton plus shipping..
thats $20 cheaper than it was a month or 2 ago, so hopefully the prices will be alot lower come spring time..

Hope the bottom drops out like it did for oil. Give everyone an importunity to stock up when it gets down to a more reasonable price of $225-250 a ton. Lower would of course be nicer, but if the pellet makers don't make money, there will eventually be a monopoly out there and that would be worse.

i saw pellets at $287.50 in a local wal mart. Oil is now at 36.00 per barrell, so pellet prices have to give....I think?

richg said:
i saw pellets at $287.50 in a local wal mart. Oil is now at 36.00 per barrell, so pellet prices have to give....I think?

$36, time for a bailout. Just saw an article yesterday stating that Exon is just now starting to make payments to the residents of Prince William Sound. 20 years, I guess they couldn't afford it.

I think we will see pellet prices slowly come down. I feel its mostly due to the mad rush to hord is over and the manufacturers are slowly catching up. Some raw materials are still in short supply but this seems to be demographic. Supply is catching back up, sales will be softer for the remainder of the season. The EIA predicts oil will stay down through '09. Many new pellet manufacturers are starting up, existing manufacturers are going through expansions. We may never see prices back where they were over a year ago, but they will be much lower than now as the supply will be there and demand will drop.

I purchased a ton of Premium hardwood pellets for $299.00 at Hearth & Home in Hampton, NH on Dec 20 - I had to pick them up myself.

I just checked Pelletsales.com and they're charging $289.00 for premium pellets and they're offering free shipping for my part of New Hampshire - Seacoast area.

It looks like prices are headed down.

I see the bigbox stores are still getting $300 / ton, and even TSC is trying to perpetuate the shortage (even though there isn't one anymore) by still limiting customers to 10 bags or less. %-P

I will say i see prices coming down on Cragslist at least. Really doesn't make alot of sense to me to pay $300/ton when HHO os $2/gal.

Ductape said:
I see the bigbox stores are still getting $300 / ton, and even TSC is trying to perpetuate the shortage (even though there isn't one anymore) by still limiting customers to 10 bags or less. %-P

I will say i see prices coming down on Cragslist at least. Really doesn't make alot of sense to me to pay $300/ton when HHO os $2/gal.

Here in Central Vermont, I bought 3 tons of pellets back in early June for $239/ton at TSC. Called there the other day and they are now $339/ton. Good to know they have them but hoping that the price drops more as oil stays low (for now).

I paid $197.00 a ton total pricfe. Maybe the midwest is cheaper

richg said:

Has a little to do with oil but the building industry needs to kick back into high gear. There needs to be more sawdust.

Eric

Ductape said:
I will say i see prices coming down on Cragslist at least.
I was looking at pellet prices in southern New England (on CL) yesterday... people want top dollar for them around here ($279+).

If pellet prices don't come back down to close to $200/ton, my pellet stoves will collect dust after my current inventory is depleted.

pelletsales.com is running $299/ton with a $3.57/ton delivery charge. Minimum order is 2.8tons though.
At least they got rid of the $40/ton delivery charge. Used to be $40/ton no matter how many tons you bought.

I've got about 15 bags left from my first 1.4ton order, don't know that I'm going to pull the trigger on more pellets just yet though.

Jim

looking at pelletsales.com again for my area ..the price went back up 20 bucks to 289 a ton with free shipping..
so at he least shipping is costing 20 bucks a ton, since the price when I started this thread was 269 Plus shipping

Bigjim13 said:
Ductape said:

Here in Central Vermont, I bought 3 tons of pellets back in early June for $239/ton at TSC. Called there the other day and they are now $339/ton. Good to know they have them but hoping that the price drops more as oil stays low (for now).

Last ton i bought from TSC here locally was $287/ton. I think that was November. Country Pine brand, trucked all the way form Idaho. They burned great with no fine to speak of. If they can truck them all the way to NH, Country Pine pellets must be $125 / ton back in Idaho.

I emailed PelletSales.com last week. They do have a cash and carry pickup in Goffstown, NH. NO WAY i would ever pre-pay and let them deliver at a later date. Have we learned nothing???

Ductape said:
I emailed PelletSales.com last week. They do have a cash and carry pickup in Goffstown, NH. NO WAY i would ever pre-pay and let them deliver at a later date. Have we learned nothing???

www.pelletsales.com doesnt charge you until after delivery has happened.
I orderd from them in april..b4 the big rush to buy from the rest of the country (at least most waited till after I ordered :) )
they delivered them in august I believe ..maybe sept.. and charged me about a week after the delivery.

As rayttt mentioned, pelletsales does NOT charge you until the pellets
are on the truck headed for your driveway.
I purchased from them last year and have no regrets.

In Sanford Maine there are two places selling pellets across the street from one another. One for $235 (vacuum dealer) and one for $245 (pellet stove dealer). That was a week ago, and I don't know what the pellets were (just driving by).

sinnian said:
....... One for $235 (vacuum dealer) ........

Now there's a new one.....who would ever think to call a vacuum dealer for pellets??? :gulp: But that's a GREAT price for this time of the year in the NE.

Maybe you get free vacuum bags with every ton? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.