Pellet pricing NY, Finger Lakes region - short summary

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I was out shopping for pellets the other day I thought I list what the current pricing in and around Ithaca, NY:

Agway Ithaca - Barefoot - 280/ton
Agway Ithaca - NEWP - 250/ton
Agway Ithaca - Dry Creek - 250/ton
Agway Ithaca - Instant Heat - 215/ton
Lowes ITH - Blue Mountain - 243/ton - never heard of this brand before
Walmart ITH - Natures Heat - 5 USD/bag - no sales by the ton !
Tractor Supply ITH - North American Pellets - 215/ton
Tractor Supply ITH - Mains Choice - 215/ton
AgTrac Genoa - Lignetics - 250/ton
Home Depot ITH - Stove Chow - I dropped the call at that point :)

Maybe helpful for others, maybe not. I dont like the commercial sites that track these prices, too much advertisement...

I had never heard of Blue Mountain, is that just fancy marketing or some real pellet - it sounded somewhat like the lignetics (blend of soft and hard) and the color in the name suggest some relation, but not sure ? I go with my Barefoots anyway, I would have taken the Natures Heat since they are really good in this area - but I dont intend to lug them bag by bag. Presto logs are now totally gone and nowhere to be seen again - very sad, they were really good beginning of the season.

Happy heating !

Maybe post a pic of the Blue Mountain pellet bag. You ARE going to grab a few bags for testing, right?

IMO, if the Lignetics you listed are the green letter bags, both the Hard/Soft blend and the all Hardwood versions are burning VERY well in my stove.....that's what I'd buy at those prices.

Yes, Please do grab a couple of them Blue Mountains and burn some for us. I haven't seen them yet! Nice to hear what you think of them.

Agway Ithaca - Barefoot - 280/ton ~~~

Do you know how much they were per bag? I live in cortland and can only haul about 15 bags at a time. I wonder if they deliver. The agway in dryden does but that is alot closer than ithaca.

Do you know how much they were per bag? I live in cortland and can only haul about 15 bags at a time. I wonder if they deliver. The agway in dryden does but that is alot closer than ithaca.[/quote]

chrisasst you might also want to check the co-op in Deruyter they had Bearfoots for $258.00 a ton when i got them

MZR800 said:
chrisasst you might also want to check the co-op in Deruyter they had Bearfoots for $258.00 a ton when i got them

Awesome, found their website, will have to call tomorrow for pricing and see how much delivery would be.

chrisasst said:
Agway Ithaca - Barefoot - 280/ton ~~~

Do you know how much they were per bag? I live in cortland and can only haul about 15 bags at a time. I wonder if they deliver. The agway in dryden does but that is alot closer than ithaca.

They certainly deliver for Dryden, in fact I saw on their sheet that they have delivery zones all the way down to Elmira. Delivery is somewhat expense though, depending on zone some 35ish to 70ish for the first ton, plus about 12 USD per ton on top of that AND a 45USD/man/h bagging charge if you need them single packed somewhere. Per bag was about 6.25 USD (forgot if with or without tax)

There is a guy in Ithaca who does all that inclusive, he charged me like 50 USD in the fall for 3 tons delivered AND stacked - so much cheaper over all.

Agway Dryden does not have Barefoot (at least the last time I checked) - but they had Lignetics as well. Funny thing is the Lignetics did not really work well for me, so was not on my short list.

Hewitt Brothers in/around Groton might be an interesting place to check. I recall they had Dry Creek the last time I checked (again not my favorite) and Baker Lumber in Groton had Currans in Fall (again, was a no-no for me).

I have not done much searching around Cortland area. Is Holy Smoke doing pellets ? I think Papa Bear (north of I 81 exit Whitney Point) has Barefoots too, but sounded too far for me to check out this year - maybe next time). Any other good place between here and Syracuse ?

The co-op is a good pointer, will check them out - thanks !

Lignetics were great for me a few years back, but have heard negative reviews lately. I don't really have much choice in cortland for pellets. TSC= North American pellets ( never tried those), Country Max = Instant Heat, Lowes did have green supremes, HEP was carrying PA's.
Is Papa Bear still there I wonder. Their web site is nonaccesible and they haven't updated or responded to any facebook activity in about a month. They did have Currans and Kentucky Kernel.
So not many choices here.

chrisasst said:
Lignetics were great for me a few years back, but have heard negative reviews lately......

I have 2 tons of Ligs Green lettered bags.....1 ton is the Hardwood/softwood blend, and the other just Hardwood. Both are burning VERY well for me. Low ash, good heat.

chrisasst said:
MZR800 said:

Awesome, found their website, will have to call tomorrow for pricing and see how much delivery would be.

They have dry creek for 5.69/bg or $250 a ton
Barefoot for $273/ ton ( said they just increase the prices)
Delivery option is a flat $20

Status
Not open for further replies.