Pellet production, tree species etc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple questions- I don't burn pellets. I do use them as litter in my rabbits' litter boxes (great, cheap, compostable).

It seems that they make them from a consistent tree species. I normally get Energex from my local hardware store (Benson's, Londonderry).

If they switch tree species, it follows that the heat output and ash amount would change. How do they get a consistent source? Does anyone have a link to their tree harvest methods and replacement?

Just curious.

I don't think they get a consistent source. They use whatever they get their hands on - at least Energex does. That is the #1 determining factor, IMHO, that causes many discrepancies between individual experiences with stoves. I bought 4 tons of Energex pellets last year. Burnt 3 tons - 2 were high ash and was displeased, 1 ton was wonderful and low ash. All 4 tons were bought on the same day from the same supplier.

Taken from Energex's site http://www.energex.com/common/wood_energex.php :
Despite these efforts the nature of raw materials is quite variable and will result in minor variations in the finished product. Some possible variations that you might see are color, length, and ash content. Minor variations of this sort will not affect the performance of most pellet appliances.

pellets are made from just about any tree species available in mill waste form or chips. some mills have propreitary formulas in use to make the pellets stay together and to enhance other characteristics.

Thanks. I guess that if the wood is a lighter species, then it may be compressed more and the final product approaches some consistent density when compared to a hard wood. The chemical composition (analysis of the ash, and amount of ash) would be different depending on species and soil/conditions of growth.

As for proprietary formula- most claim to be 100% wood- don't they?

Pellets are a mix of every species under the sun. There is even softwood sawdust in hardwood pellets. I think this is why some people will swear by a certain brand pellet and others swear at it. Very inconsistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.