Pellet quality? (Greenway. Pot-O-Gold. New England.)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ineclipse

Dec 11, 2008
Saugerties/Woodstock, NY
I have seen some reasonable offers in my area on these three brands of pellets... Greenway, Pot-O-Gold and New England Wood Pellets - all labeled as 'premium'. ;-))
Does anyone have a take on the quality of these brands, or a comparison between them?
Thanks SO much!!

There's a post near yours that may answer part of your question about Geeenway. Here's the link:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/40121/

BTU wrote it. He's in the pellet business and has posted a lot of very useful information. (You might want to search some of his old posts in this forum.) He's very certainly right about the labels - -just about every manufacturer calls their product premium. If they claim they meet the standards of the PFI (Pellet Fuel Institute) their product may be OK, but those standards are loose and I suspect there is no independent verification of claims.

There are some really good softwood, hardwood and softwood-hardwood blends but you should probably check them out before spending a lot of money on a pellet you may wind up not liking.

ineclipse said:
I have seen some reasonable offers in my area on these three brands of pellets... Greenway, Pot-O-Gold and New England Wood Pellets - all labeled as 'premium'. ;-))
Does anyone have a take on the quality of these brands, or a comparison between them?
Thanks SO much!!

Ineclipse, I'm just down the road from you in New Windsor. I have burned (and like), the NEWP. I haven't burned them personally, but I have heard good things about the Pot-O-Gold from a stove shop owner on this forum (Eric at Kinsman Stoves), and if he recommends them, then I wouldn't have any issue burning them. As for the Greenway, use the search feature on this forum to find out more about them.....I can't comment.

BTW, maybe you could PM me and tell me what prices and location are for the NEWP & Pot O Gold pellets you found....I'm still looking for 1 additional ton , but only if they are cheap.

ineclipse said:
Thanks SO much!!
I can only expess my thoughts on the NEWP and the Pot-O-Gold pellet brands. I have burned both, I like both, I purchased a truckload (22 ton) of the Pot-O-Gold pellets earlier this summer based on the cost per ton delivered. The link below is to the manufacturer of the Pot-O-Gold pellets.

http://www.fiberby-products.com/products/wood_pellets.php

Status
Not open for further replies.