Pellet quality question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

90durham

Jul 18, 2008
Southeast Ontario
Hi: Just a general question concerning pellet quality and to solicit opinion. I am new to pellet heat and have ordered 3 tons of Lakewood premium from a local building supply at $265.00/ ton. A bought a few bags just to test out and notice that they don't appear to burn as cleanly as the 2 bags ( Lacrete premium) my stove retailer supplied with the stove, his price is $300.00/ ton( no supply issues). The glass dirties and there is noticeable dust on the chute leading to the burn pot.
As the test bags were last years stock is it possible that is the cause or are they just inferior to the other brand. The specs on the bags are nearly the same.
I don't want to get caught with 3 tons of poor quality and would rather pay the extra to get the best results from my stove.
Appreciate your advice.

If the ones your testing are the ones that you ordered 3 tons of...I would probably cancel and get the ones you know burn well.
3 tons of crap pellets are alot of bad if they dont burn well in your stove.
(Maybe thats why they are only 265 when most are around 300)

I agree with rayttt on this. I would rather pay a few dollars more for a pellet that burns clean and hot.

A good idea is to buy a couple bags of different brands to see which burns best in your stove. I tested approx. 6 brands available locally to see what was best for my stove last year, and when I found the brand I liked I ordered 3 tons in the spring.

90durham said:
Hi: Just a general question concerning pellet quality and to solicit opinion. I am new to pellet heat and have ordered 3 tons of Lakewood premium from a local building supply at $265.00/ ton. A bought a few bags just to test out and notice that they don't appear to burn as cleanly as the 2 bags ( Lacrete premium) my stove retailer supplied with the stove, his price is $300.00/ ton( no supply issues). The glass dirties and there is noticeable dust on the chute leading to the burn pot.
As the test bags were last years stock is it possible that is the cause or are they just inferior to the other brand. The specs on the bags are nearly the same.
I don't want to get caught with 3 tons of poor quality and would rather pay the extra to get the best results from my stove.
Appreciate your advice.

Just a question first: do you have any kind of organization in Canada that rates pellet fuel (like the Pellet Fuel Institute in the US)?
Our "premium" fuels have to meet certain criteria, and generally anything rated that way is a pretty good pellet. If not, you need to hope some of your fellow countrymen chime in w/their reviews.

Do US pellet companies sell pellets in Canada?

I say that MOST pellet mills make a very good product. One of the biggest issue with pellets is the density. Density is effected by poor storage of pellets. Pellets stored outside will have the density broken down. This makes for a bad burn. When you buy your pellets pay attention to where they are stored. Some mills store their pellets outside so beware.

And YES we are $220 a ton.

Eric

Attachments

• small pic of pellets.jpg
    small pic of pellets.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 415
I will run to the post office this afternoon. Priority or Media class?

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.