Pellet Quality Testing - 1. Bayou 2. Fireside 3. Rocky mountain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Racerx009

Jan 7, 2009
Orange County,N.Y
I own a Avalon Astoria freestanding pellet stove placed in the back corner of my living room my house is 2200sqft Colonial. This is my 3rd home 2nd stove 1st own one 1996 it was an Austraflamm which worked great. I did rush out and buy this one without think due to new baby was home and my main heating was electric and my first 2 month bill was 810.00 so I freaked out. Would have gotten the Austraflamm or Quadra-fire anyway it heats my house very well like now it's18 degree's and my back upper bedrooms are 71 degree's with stove on medium.
I used a stove thermoter by the first two heater tubes that blow into room
I also have a entree fan pointing into hallway and another large fan hanging from doorway pointing to stair case going upstairs masterbed room at top with fan blowing in another at end of hallway where wireless thermostat is located and have therometer in guestroom and temp matches thermostat.

On medium - exhaust vent on 2

1. Bayou - burned at 225 with a good amount of ash where I had to clean up after 2 bags the pot was pretty clean

2. Fireside - burned around 230 but it clumped up in the pot to the point I opened the exhaust vent all the way to get pot as hot as possible so it would break up into clinkers but over all ash was very low

3. Rocky mountain - Burned around the same as the Fireside but more ash than both and pot was spotless

Burned 2 Bags of each

On High- exhaust on 2

1. Bayou- Burned at 300 degrees ash was low pot was somewhat clean

2. Fireside - Burned at 325 almost 330 ash was low but pot needed a good cleaning would have shutdown with another bag

3. Rocky Mountain - Burned at 325 -335 ash was extremely high but burnt for a longer time than the rest

Burned 2 bags of each and stove was vacuumed out each time

I'm 43yrs old retired somewhat mental fit and mechanic by trade and bored at times till 17 month old gets up!!

Hope this helps

Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.