Pellet quality?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slackercruster

Oct 21, 2011
I bought some pellets at Lowes and they were OK. Sams had some cheaper pellets I was going to try. Are pellets pretty much all about the same? Have you ever bought any pellets that were not to your liking?

Pellets vary greatly. Spend some time on here reading posts. Don't buy large quantities. Buy 2-3 bags and try them All stoves like different pellets. There is a great deal of info available here.

All pellets seem to be different. Some burn hot, some are not. Some produce alot of ash, others don't. By far the worse pellet I have ever tried are, Juniata Wood Pellets, made by Energex in PA.. They burn real hot, but produced major ash. I could not run more than 12 hours without having to shut down to remove ash.

As others have written here, pellet quality can be all over the map. In fact, the heat and ash of given pellets is one of this forum's primary topics. People even go so far as to measure heat, ash etc. from various pellets and to draw comparison charts. If I weren't on my phone, I'd link you.

Generally speaking, you'll have to pay for better pellets -- and not Sam's prices!

I totally agree that trial is needed (two bags works for me), for I am new to pellets as well, yet I have used two reportedly similar pellets so far with totally different results in my stove.
I needed to use different stove settings just to be able to keep performance somewhat stable, and I'm glad I'm not stuck with large quantities of the second pellet I tried (I'm glad to be finishing my second bag). I've decided to keep records of each brand I'm trying with the stove settings that work the best just in case I have to purchase a brand I don't particularly care for.

Here are some links to help you get started, the best pellets are usually a safer bet for a large supply, and there are some "stay away from" recommendations to save you time and money as well:

Thanks to all for all your time and efforts with these forums, for you are true Americans, and should be thanked for your contributions!!!

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42511/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50101/

1Dtml said:
Thanks to all for all your time and efforts with these forums, for you are true Americans, and should be thanked for your contributions!!!

I think you just did! ;-)

slackercruster said:
I bought some pellets at Lowes and they were OK. Sams had some cheaper pellets I was going to try. Are pellets pretty much all about the same? Have you ever bought any pellets that were not to your liking?

He!! no, Pellets are not the same at all. Although many still might think that. I think I pretty much busted that myth! Yes I have bought a few brands I absolutely hated! Inferno's and ACP are just a few!

Check the links that 1Dml posted and Here are a couple more links to my spot check/tests. Just a visual to show how all pellets are not equal and how much they actually vary. But you must note my stove is a beast and burns about anything including bunny poop. So do as others say and try a few different brands to see for yourself.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/60581/

http://woodpelletreviews.com/Pellets/Takeman-Reviews.html

J-,

sit down, slow deep breaths, we'll get thru this. ;-P

Wachusett said:
J-,

sit down, slow deep breaths, we'll get thru this. ;-P

I thought I was going easy? I guess you don't want to see when I really get wound up! :cheese: hehe! ;-P

Just wanted to say thanks to J-takeman for his pellet reviews. i look forward to them for the last 2 yrs. and find myself back at those pages several times looking at them before i go out and buy some pellets. so far the best pellet i found are o malleys and powerhouse. they seem to burn the best in the old whitfield

Status
Not open for further replies.