Pellet question (Autumn harvest?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoeB

Apr 4, 2006
Bangor, Maine
This may be a silly question, but I was wondering if anyone knows why pellets can't be made from dead fallen leaves? There must be a reason, but it sure would be nice -- they're free, they grow, they fall, we get rid of them.

There is a process to making pellets, i would think the first problem is getting raw material. I dont think i will see leaf farms anytime soon, and homeowners woulndt like some manufacturing company in there front yard collecting leaves. Paper and wood is a lot easier to harvest.

I live in Maine. Homeowners rake them and haul them off to the nearest landfill or community compost pile as a sort of fall and spring ritual. I'd rather haul them off to a pellet manufacturer. It's such an obvious fuel source and Mother Nature has provided this ongoing source of material. I hope someone knows the answer to why it can't be done. If we can burn switchgrass and corn, why not pelletized leaves?

Thank you for responding to my question.

Moe

I think that leaves would require a binder. The sawdust has lignites (I think that's what their called) cellular material that when compressed acts as a natural glue. Maybe the leaves would do the same thing. Look in the members list for a member named Jonas. He owns or works at a pellet mill out west. PM or email him and he can probably explain. You'll have to mail him though as I don't think he'll see this thread he hasn't posted for months now.

Status
Not open for further replies.