1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. Donn Fletcher

Donn Fletcher New Member

Loc:
    South Western NH
    This is my second year with my Harman XXV and last year I Burnt New England's, BareFoots, Oaki's & I tried a bag or two of a few others. Last year I had 0 issues with eye or skin dryness from using my stove. This year I bought 2 tons of Fire Side Pellets from Home Depot. Unlike last year I've had nothing but eye and skin problems. I go into my living room where the stove is and it feels like my skin and lips are going to peel off. I've added a decent humidifier to the room but its not much help. My question is; is it possible, knowing that pellets are not made exactly the same, that these pellets may have something in them causing a reaction. Do the pellets you burn make a difference in the air being sent out of the stove? Sounds odd, but in the very beginning of the season I burned a few bags of left over New England's from last year and don't remember having these problems.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smoke show

smoke show Guest

Anything is possible. Easy enough to try a couple bags of last years pellets and see.
  3. jgrz0610

jgrz0610 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Eastern CT, Andover
    I wouldn't think combustion air is getting in the room, however the pellets in the hopper are getting warm and releasing whatever it is the release when they get warm ;? and perhaps you have an allergy to the wood used? I would definitely switch out to see if it goes away. If it does, I'll be up in NH next week and happy to take those defective Firesides out of your house and I'll do it free of charge. :)
  4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Hey hazardous pellet removal requires a certified pellet pig team, they arrive in a blue van, squeal a lot and get the job done very quickly.

..... Road trip