Pellet recommendations in SouthEastern MA/RI

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn Jefferson

Oct 25, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to find some recommendations on pellets down here in SE MA where I live, I was hoping someone might have some recommendations on places I could go to get some good prices. I've just spent a $320 for a TON of Turman's I heard they were supposed to be good but I find 320 pricey. I used this document (http://woodpellets4me.com/pdf/2011-2012-PelletReview.pdf ) that ranks a number of brands of pallets. I called around a few places that I knew carried pellets and came up with the list below that I found local to me. Surprisingly Lowes had the 2nd "best" pellet I could find for $260 a ton Green Team, but I figured for $60 more I would try the Turmans which were ranked #8. Below is a breakdown of what I could find locally:
I haven't used the Turman's yet but, I am finishing up the Maine Woods as those came with my stove when I first got it. Does anything think I will actually notice a difference in higher ranked pellets on that list? What can be expected (less ash? Hotter Fire? Cleaner?) Thanks

Price/Ton Ranking Ash Rating
Pellet Brand
Turman 320 8 3.4
Green Team (Lowes) 260 16 6.42
Stove Chow (Home Depot) 209 25 7.92
NEWP (new england wood pellet) 275 26 8.3
Maine Wood 280 29 8.3
Inferno 209 53 30.19
North American 209

Have you tried pellets direct in uxbridge. They have decent prices on brands like Spruce points {my fav } . U can pick them up they will load your truck.

Have you tried pellets direct in uxbridge. They have decent prices on brands like Spruce points {my fav } . U can pick them up they will load your truck.

X2

5 tons of spruce from pellets direct. Little dusty but clean and hotttt!

Welcome to the show Glenn, You may want to put what kind of stove you have in your signature helps the folks here answer your questions.
Will you see a difference between pellet brands you bet some are hotter than others and some are cleaner less ash.

From your list I've burned Turman's and Greene Team both quality pellets with nod going to the Turman's both are much cheaper down here Truman's $240/ton GT's $209 at Lowe's Some other folks may chime about the others on your list. Good Luck with your pellet quest.

I finished off last seasons Genevas, decent but moderately hot pellet. Currently burning Somersets that I was able to find at $250/ton, very hot, pretty clean but hard to find. I tried Fireside Ultras that my local HD has for $209 a ton. Just as hot as the Somersets but a bit dirty. Still for the money, the FSU's are a very good buy. Thats where I'd put my money if I didn't get hooked up with the Somersets.

I second the nod towards the Fireside Ultras. Just grabbed another dozen bags this morning. This year is a good batch.

Hi guys, brand new today and just had a Harman Accentra insert installed! Trying to tell the oil man off!....I am also looking for pellets, seems like pellets direct is good but I have some friends who use the pellets at lowes. Anybody use them or should I stay away? Also was wondering about an ash vac; seems like I have to get one -- Any suggestions? I want to say that this forum has been very helpful in helping me make my conversion to pellet happen! Thanks for everyone's insight!

A Shop Vac with a HEPA filter will work well.Most of the pellets available at Lowes have been disappointing to me.Hearthsides weren't to bad but Inferno's and Greene Supreme are not good pellets.Green Teams are a good pellet but more money and not worth it.I bought Cubex from Eastern Ice in Brockton for 280 a ton and they are pretty good.If you can find some Fireside Ultra's from HD they are very good.I wish I had bought 3 tons of those puppies instead.

Hi guys, brand new today and just had a Harman Accentra insert installed! Trying to tell the oil man off!....I am also looking for pellets, seems like pellets direct is good but I have some friends who use the pellets at lowes. Anybody use them or should I stay away? Also was wondering about an ash vac; seems like I have to get one -- Any suggestions? I want to say that this forum has been very helpful in helping me make my conversion to pellet happen! Thanks for everyone's insight!

Welcome aboard! First, an ash vac is a must. They run about $225+/-. Don't skimp on this and jeopardize your and family's safety. You made the investment on the stove so don't stop short now.
I have used the Green Teams from Lowes last year and this year and have been pleased, but only at the price I got them for. The heat from them this year is very good, but they are very ashy and dirty my windows quickly. But again, I am willing to put up with the extra ash (that means more frequent vacuuming) only because of the price I paid for them.

Best of luck!

try the heartside.i was pleasantly surprised with the 2 bags i tried.they impressed me so much i went back to grab 10 more.i would have grabbed a ton but i am sitting on 9 ton already.so far i have been burning maine woods and green team leftover from last year.heartside blow them both out of the water.i am getting temps of 260 to 270 on heat level 3.green team topped out at 240 and far less ash from the heartsides also.good luck with the hunt.let me know exactly where you are and i can point you in the direction of some good stuff in this area.im in norton

Welcome to the show Eric [great name by the way my sons name]

A shop vac with a HEPA filter and a dry wall bag are fine clean your stove when it's COLD take the $$ saved and buy pellets or beer :).

You have a Harman they will eat what ever pellet you put in the hopper [squeezing out every btu possible] try as many brands you can get your hands on see which ones your stove and set up like best. Happy Burning.

Thanks for the replys guys and the pellet suggestions! i'm gonna try out some bags and let you know what burns the best!

I'm in Attleboro...

Welcome to "the game" Eric! We tend to save our best (hottest and least ashy) pellets for the cold weather... around here, that is somewhere in the 15-20 degree range. (Turmans) For everything else temp wise, most burn what we affectionately call "shoulder pellets" (for the fall and late winter/early spring weather) That would be the Green Teams, Fireside Ultras and whatever gives a decent burn and is kind to the wallet. So far, I have gone through about a ton of Green Team purchased last year at $209/ton. As it isn't "cold" yet, I am off to HD for a ton of FSUs today as I am down to my last 12 bags of GT. Another thing to keep in mind is when is the best time to buy pellets. I have had the best pricing and availability in Feb-Mar as the box stores are bringing in the spring stuff and want to move those tons of pellets that are in the "garden department". You will find a wealth of experience/knowledge on this board so don't be a stranger and drink up!

Welcome to "the game" Eric! ... You will find a wealth of experience/knowledge on this board so don't be a stranger and drink up!

Try the kool-aid, it's delicious!!

Reactions: Augmister
Status
Not open for further replies.