Pellet Selection - New England Pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckee83

Sep 24, 2012
As I have described in another thread I am new to the pellet and pellet stove world. Hopefully in the next week or so we will have made our pellet stove decision????Hopefully, never would have thought that making a decision on one would be this difficult???? As everyone says, a stove is only as good as the pellets you give it. There are a lot of choices out there many bad and many good, I understand that it is all trial and error but there are some that are just bad ( the cheap ones at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.).

Our local Ace Hardware sells New England Wood Pellets as there is a plant right here in our county. I have talked to someone that uses them and they said that they have worked very well for them. Does anyone else have any insight on New England wood pellets or any others that are good and what ones to steer clear of? I would like to stay in the $225 - $250 per ton cost range if possible. I don't know if pellet brands vary depending on your location but I am located in upstate New York, South of Albany.

Thanks for the advise.........

New England wood pellets(NEWP) are the same as Warm Front and the Green Supreme's your seeing at the box stores. Just in different bags to confuse us and keep the NEWP dealers from complaining.

Only major difference is what plant the were made/bagged at. Jaffery has the best quality. Schuyler NY. plant isn't as good IMHO. Deposit NY I have no experiance with. They used to specify on the NEWP bags what plant they were bagged at, But I'm not sure they still do that.

Hope this helps!

I did have a feeling that plants sell to many different company's and they are just bagged differently (same as motor oil, Valvoline comes from the same plant that the NAPA brand does just different bottles). Actually the Deposit NY plant is the one that is about 20-30 minutes from us.

It does not appear to matter where you live. My sister, father and myself all ordered three ton of green supreme from a lowes on the nh seacoast over the course of 2 - 3 days. Sister's were from jaffrey, mine was from jaffrey and my fathers was out of schyler. There is a tag on the shirk wrap that indicates the location of manufacture.

I think most people on here would recommend that you try a few bags of several brands you have available near you before committing to a ton or more. Burn each brand for a few days and see how the room temp is, ash, how often you need to clean the stove etc. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.