Pellet shortage ?!?!??!! Big Box Stores -- Maine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CladMaster

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2012
Maine
:confused: :mad:

Just did a check around the area that I live with the big box stores (HD / Lowes).

Two stores out of pellets, none to be had !

One store had limited stock, less than 4 tones.

And the last store has 21 tons of FireSide Ultra's, but get this --- 10 bag limit per customer !
I asked if I could buy 3 tons and have them delivered, and the reply...

'No sir, that's all we have, there is a pellet shortage and we don't know when we will get some more.'

Crazy ! I got less than a ton left, looks like I'll be doing some runs next week and the week after to restock my stash in the basement. :(

Looks like I'll be using the oil guzzler (paid for 100 gallons today @ $2.19 per gallon) to balance out the pellets that I do have left / can get.

Also, I noticed that the big box stores have started to move things around, they are putting up / out the spring / summer crap that they sell already ! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Sounds about right. I'd try some of the smaller suppliers like Ace Hardware, tractor Supply, Perkins Home Centers, small hardware chain stores, Walmart, KMart, etc.

Sounds about right. I'd try some of the smaller suppliers like Ace Hardware, tractor Supply, Perkins Home Centers, small hardware chain stores, Walmart, KMart, etc.

No free delivery, so not an option, and they want to much $$$ per bag.

So there isn't a pellet shortage in Maine, there is a shortage of cheap pellets with free delivery in Maine. With oil at just over $2.00 per gallon, I wouldn't sweat it. Close the thread!

Reactions: Wilbur Feral
Sorry, not until someone posts "Why didn't you stock up last summer?" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LOL ...... I stocked up at the end of last summer like I have done for the last 3 years. I was looking to do it early this year, like as in now, but I can't for the reasons above.

LOL ...... I stocked up at the end of last summer like I have done for the last 3 years. I was looking to do it early this year, like as in now, but I can't for the reasons above.
Then you'll have plenty of time to stock up for next year. I wouldn't stock up now wait till late spring or early summer. Don't sweat it now!

Then you'll have plenty of time to stock up for next year. I wouldn't stock up now wait till late spring or early summer. Don't sweat it now!
Exactly....
My dealer Takes Early Buy Deposits around end of April/ May...

I was in HD in North Windham on Tuesday nada in the pellet department. I got some gasket material to make a new burn pot gasket and some more LEDs to continue the KWh reduction project.

Maybe you'll be saving some money burning oil at $2.19 a gallon vs buying some crap pellets for $260. Maybe its a blessing in disguise.

Reactions: Pellet-King
Maybe you'll be saving some money burning oil at $2.19 a gallon vs buying some crap pellets for $260. Maybe its a blessing in disguise.
That only works if you have an oil furnace. My last propane bill was at $3.12 a gallon.

Reactions: bogieb

Also, I noticed that the big box stores have started to move things around, they are putting up / out the spring / summer crap that they sell already ! :rolleyes:
Starting to put out spring stuff is typical for BB stores, the first official day of spring is less than two months away. No different than Christmas stuff in Oct.

Reactions: mepellet

Just did a check around the area that I live with the big box stores (HD / Lowes).

Two stores out of pellets, none to be had !

One store had limited stock, less than 4 tones.

And the last store has 21 tons of FireSide Ultra's, but get this --- 10 bag limit per customer !
I asked if I could buy 3 tons and have them delivered, and the reply...

'No sir, that's all we have, there is a pellet shortage and we don't know when we will get some more.'

Crazy ! I got less than a ton left, looks like I'll be doing some runs next week and the week after to restock my stash in the basement. :(

Looks like I'll be using the oil guzzler (paid for 100 gallons today @ $2.19 per gallon) to balance out the pellets that I do have left / can get.

Which HD/Lowes did you visit?

Hard to stock up when you have no place to keep it and $1300 a month isn't conducive to bulk buying.

If you're in Hancock you're in the EBS service area, that's where I've been getting mine for a few years

You folks in Maine are experiencing what we had back in Nov - Dec. not a pellet to be found in box stores in western Philly suburbs. Now we're flush with 'em, and you're out. I have to wonder if this isn't some goofus buyers at these chains who just let the computer tell them what was sold when, last year. Of course, if their stores didn't sell anythhing last year because they were out, the cycle continues. I have about as much faith in box stores maintaining appropriate inventories (of many items, not just pellets) as I have the man in the moon reading us bedtime stories. As noted earlier, stock up early or pay the price, folks.

My two "local" HD's still have FSU's. Of course no free delivery, but I'm going on a mini buying spree to make sure I get thru the winter. I still have 40 bags that I pre-paid for at a local place and at least 1.5 tons in basement. But the FSU's are so much better than the pre-pay stuff (and a bit cheaper), so I'll grab 10 bags at lunch time again (got 10 bags yesterday and picked up 6 bags last weekend while picking up insulation)

You folks in Maine are experiencing what we had back in Nov - Dec. not a pellet to be found in box stores in western Philly suburbs. Now we're flush with 'em, and you're out. I have to wonder if this isn't some goofus buyers at these chains who just let the computer tell them what was sold when, last year. Of course, if their stores didn't sell anythhing last year because they were out, the cycle continues. I have about as much faith in box stores maintaining appropriate inventories (of many items, not just pellets) as I have the man in the moon reading us bedtime stories. As noted earlier, stock up early or pay the price, folks.
I'm not sure there's an actual shortage in Maine. It's more likely as you stated that some stores didn't adjust their supply based upon early season demand but ordered based upon last year's demand. My limited experience has been that the HDs in S Portland and Westbrook didn't seem to have as much pellet supply as what I usually see at my local HD in Augusta. Then again, I think it was the outages last year that led to emergency shipments of Blazers.

I know it's really semantics....
but if one cannot find a product, there is a shortage.... for him...
If there is a glut 150 miles away... it's of little value to the one that can't get any in his locale.

Status
Not open for further replies.