pellet storage for a newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well...2 tons of pellets now in my garage on the pallet and some shelving. It's a nice woody smell in there...which is nice because we had some really foul smelling seafood in the garbage bin stinking it up. Between the seafood and the foul smell from the central vacuum unit (do I really want to know what the prior owner did or didn't do to get it that way?), it's a very nice change in aroma! I think we're going to use that stuff up before we try to get a dispensing bin. No space! Now to find the decorative bin for inside the house!

Don2222 said:
Hello

I spoke with the sales engineer at this company in Goffstown NH.
http://www.woodpellets.com/services/default.aspx << See truck and hose at bottom of this web page.

Right now they deliver wood pellets in Bulk with a truck and a hose to blow them into your storage bin.

He says they are currently in development of a new system called “Magic Bucket” This will blow the pellets into a bucket next to your stove or into your stove!!!

Here are some nice guidelins for building your own storage bin.
http://www.coford.ie/iopen24/pub/pp12_pelletstoragefacility.pdf

Good luck
they had a trailer with that system up and running, of course unless you need bulk delivery or you are going to be dumping a ton of pellets into the hopper (pun intended). this looks like what you were hoping was out there from what I read, still waiting for them to market it for DIY types like me, though if you are a cheap DIY like me you would just go read up on corn vac and corn burner fuel mover systems and make your own. Hooking up a cornvac to a central vac system would be just the ticket.
IDK what kind of republicans you guys are talking about I am a right wing conservative gun clinging bible thumper and any solar, wind etc. that saves me money makes perfect sense.

You shouldn't have a problem with the mice and critters unless you are using corn pellets or food pellets, but they might decide to use the wood pellets as a nest.

No one mentioned using a nice storage bin and leaving the pellets in their 40lbs. bags. My wife bought one at Overstock.com and it has leather-like upholstry and should fit at least 6 bags (my stove is in the basement, so I don't use the bench for pellet storage). You can use it as a bench against the wall or all a main coffee table in front of the couch. She even only had to pay $2.99 to have it shipped through some promotion. Good luck with your new stove.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...Storage-Bench/3964293/product.html?rcmndsrc=2

Why is it that when you don't need something, the store has a good selection and yet, when you actually want/need it, nothing! I had in mind this nice cedar chest that I bought at JoAnn's for my craft supplies a few years ago. They've had at least 2 or 3 of them everytime I've gone in for other items and today, nothing! They had an okay looking build it yourself toy chest but not as nice as the cedar chest. Oh well...guess I'll just have to wait. Only 1 wk left until we get to have our insert installed! Now I get anxious worrying that it won't fit, even though we measured 3 times the fireplace dimensions that we took with us to the store.

Hooray!!! Finally have fire!!!

IMG_1573.jpg

Thankfully our awesome installers were able to get it in today despite some initial problems thanks to lovely Oregon Rain and our annoying cedar shake roof (replacing that with composition roofing is next on the major to-do list)

Stove looks great! Thanks for the pic.

BTW, I hope there's a surge protector on the end of that power cord.

Thanks! And yes, we have a surge protector that covers up to 4000 joules of surge protection. It was the highest amount that I could find at home depot. It's actually a belkin labeled for home theater use and has a $300,000 lifetime warranty ($30). Hopefully that will do the task! Couldn't find one that had less than 12 outlets. Our pellet stove store told us to get one when we bought the stove. The house is warm now so the stove turned itself off (standby?). Because of the shape of our fireplace, we could only fit the small hopper in there but a 40 lb bag filled it perfectly!

Status
Not open for further replies.