Pellet storage/life?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lordgrinz

Jun 20, 2010
Western MA
How long will pellets store for? Do they have a shelf life? I store mine in the cellar with a dehumidifier running, and its about 60 down their year round. I don't mind stocking up for next heating season, but I don't want the pellets to turn to sawdust, or something.

lordgrinz said:
How long will pellets store for? Do they have a shelf life? I store mine in the cellar with a dehumidifier running, and its about 60 down their year round. I don't mind stocking up for next heating season, but I don't want the pellets to turn to sawdust, or something.
Almost indefinitely as long as they are kept dry.

Yesssssssssss

The key is cool and dry.

I had some pine pellets that we bought from the Home depot back in winter 94 and there were about 10 bags that got burried back in the storage area up until last year.

They were just fine even after all that time.

Snowy

Thanks guys! I need to buy 1 to 2 more pallets for this season, I was gonna buy all of next season, but I forgot there isn't enough room to store it all until I am done with this season. I think I am just going to buy 2 or 3 pallets of a mix of Maine Woods and Turmans, to test these brand out, and wait until Spring to purchase next years supply.

lordgrinz said:
Thanks guys! I need to buy 1 to 2 more pallets for this season, I was gonna buy all of next season, but I forgot there isn't enough room to store it all until I am done with this season. I think I am just going to buy 2 or 3 pallets of a mix of Maine Woods and Turmans, to test these brand out, and wait until Spring to purchase next years supply.

Maybe you should get rid of "unimportant stuff" {tm}, you know everything but the stove, a table, a chair, the TV, computer, a bed and the kitchen.

There did this edition of Clean House help you out with your space "issues".

I have an unfinished basement, dirt floors. I store my pellets there for the winter but was also wondering about buying a nice stash for next year at the end of the season. I do run a dehumidifer but it can get pretty damp down there in the hazy summers of NY. Would it be safe to store in these conditions or not? Does dry mean not being outside in the rain or does it mean not being in damp cold conditions as well?

Neversink said:
I have an unfinished basement, dirt floors. I store my pellets there for the winter but was also wondering about buying a nice stash for next year at the end of the season. I do run a dehumidifer but it can get pretty damp down there in the hazy summers of NY. Would it be safe to store in these conditions or not? Does dry mean not being outside in the rain or does it mean not being in damp cold conditions as well?

Moisture will always try to even itself out to where ever it is in most any environment. while pellets come wrapped in plastic, they are not air tight. I've seen pellet bags dripping wet when they have absorbed moisture from damp air. With changing temperatures, condensation forms on the inside of the of the protective plastic wrap and some pellets get wet from this. I've held one ton over for the next year by storing them in my garage, Always with room around them to allow for good air circulation. No losses so far. I would try storing a small amount first. See how it works for you before you risk a huge loss. I won't buy pellets that I know have been kept outside for any length of time, nor will I buy them if is seems they have been handled a lot. Can't help but think that a lot of the cryptic comments about some brands of pellets are from having been exposed to moisture and handled improperly.

Status
Not open for further replies.