Pellet Storage Over the Summer & Furry Critters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkF48

Feeling the Heat
Nov 14, 2011
Central MA
I've got a fair amount of bags of pellets left from the winter stashed in the barn. They're stacked against a wall, but there is some space between the pile and the wall that could make for a safe hiding place for little varmits. Wondering if anyone has had a problem with mice or other furry critters gnawing open a bag and making a mess.

Had a ton in vinyl storage shelter, mice got into one bag thats all. Can't taste very good..

i have tons of field mice and chipmunks and they never bothered with my pellets.

luckily last year a family of owls moved in and ate them all, but in the years before that they didnt even touch 1 bag.

I have some of mine stored in an open shed, and never had any bags chewed on. The only thing that ever happened was that a mouse made a nest between the bags.

typically rodents won't bother pellets as there is no food value.
not sayin they won't nest there.

I had one bag chewed open, but no visible pellet loss. Not bad for 4 years! When I leave the garage door open a little, my cat gets in there and keeps the critters a none issue. Moor issues with red squirrels than mice.

typically rodents won't bother pellets as there is no food value.
not sayin they won't nest there.

What, no food value!! gag -gag- spit -spit
beaver_100.jpg

I've stored 4+ tons in an always open car port, on the side of barn, from june onwards. There is a squirrel that likes to hang out in the rafters, but nothing other than that.

Our basement has a rool up door and the little critters do get in from time to time.

The nut shells I use have to be stored with the lids on the barrels or the critters will get in and have a field day.
The pellets stored right close have never been an issue. Not so much as one chewed bag.
snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.