Pellet storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Funnydirt14

Jan 31, 2015
Central Pennsylvania
Maybe this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find it in the search. What size (gallons) container will hold a 40 lb. bag of pellets? I'm thinking a 10 gal. can looks about right, though I haven't tried it.

The 5 gallon buckets I use can hold about 30lbs. 10 gallon should be more than enough

IIRC - wood pellets are around 40 pounds per cubic foot.

IMG_1364.JPG I use a Sterilite 58 qt container which holds maybe 1.5 bags, with enough extra room to scoop out pellets without making a mess. That container, an unopened bag of pellets and all my tools and parts stay inside a large deck box in the same room as the stove. It's a very functional system that keeps everything organized well enough and keeps the mess down to a reasonable level.

Edit: here I just opened a new bag. There was less than 1/4 bag in the container previously.

Last edited:
I have coal hods that hold about 30 lbs of pellets.

If you get the buckets from a BBS like Home Depot,
2 will easily take 40# with some room to spare in each....
So much easier to pour out of a bucket...

If you get the buckets from a BBS like Home Depot,
2 will easily take 40# with some room to spare in each....
So much easier to pour out of a bucket...
3 of those buckets holds exactly 80# (2 bags) for me

We use a big, 58 qt Tupperware bin.
I love your avatar. Dale was the man, miss watching him so much!!!
Wife and I had a Nascar collectables store back in the 90's, and were fortunate enough to meet him.
What an awesome guy.

We use a big, 58 qt Tupperware bin.
I love your avatar. Dale was the man, miss watching him so much!!!
Wife and I had a Nascar collectables store back in the 90's, and were fortunate enough to meet him.
What an awesome guy.
I was trying to make a cheaper version of the pellet pale or what ever they call it. It holds a 40 lb bag of pellets and when you sink a new bag to the bottom of the bucket it will cut the bottom out and your pellets fall into bucket. The picture of Dale's car is of his 1988 Monte Carlo. That was when I first started following him. My guy before that was Bobby Allison until he got hurt in '88 and had to hang it up. The new group of characters they have today just aren't like the old guys. I miss watching real racing on Sundays.

Status
Not open for further replies.