Pellet Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, new pellet stove owner here. I recently installed a Timberwolf pellet stove and bought 1.5 tons of Eastern Embers pellets. I am just curious what people use to store the pellets in so your not dumping the bag and all the fines into the stove.
I was thinking maybe a plastic container close to the stove. Any suggestions?

Rugman29 said:
Hi everyone, new pellet stove owner here. I recently installed a Timberwolf pellet stove and bought 1.5 tons of Eastern Embers pellets. I am just curious what people use to store the pellets in so your not dumping the bag and all the fines into the stove.
I was thinking maybe a plastic container close to the stove. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum,

I can't help you much because I just open the bag and let pellets out. Some folks have gone so far as to hook up a vacuum feed system that cleans the fines out and transports the pellets to a storage container.

I do the same thing, just dump whole bag in. I do keep a plastic coffee can to store pellets in, that I use for startup.
Don't have the fancy auto igniter. I have a dog & cat & don't want to chance one critter having pellets swelling up in their tummy.
One could use a plastic trash can with hinged lid, as I do to store my dog food in. That wouldn't be attractive for a woman in the house tho,
having that setting in the same room as the stove.

Please give us feedback on the Timberwolf pellet stove. I dont thknk to many people here have one. Some have spoke of them, so I am curious of how you like it (as others will be also)

As for the storage. I store them in my basement on pallets and when it comes time to burn I run them through a pellet sifter. My Quadrafire is the only stove I will sift, due to the auger style. It more or less uses a spring as an auger. So the fines accumulate at the bottom of the hopper. The other stoves use a Screw and Cylinder style auger and can eat fines rather easily.

So depending on what type of auger you have, or if you just want to eliminate the dust in the living area of your home, you may or may not want to build one of these....... Just some PVC and a Shop Vac, along with a few little knacks inside. If you run a search at the top of the screen, you should fimd plenty of other threads describing the parts needed. (About $20 in materials/other than the shop vac)

Attachments

• sifter.jpg
    sifter.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 700
I just dump the bag straight in the hopper. Store the pellets in shed outside and bring in about 8 or 10 bags a week in to the mud room.

Can we see some pics of that Timberwolf?

I have a back condition, heavy lifting is a problem so what works perfect for me is storing the pellets in a shed at the side of the house & filling one of those blue recycle bins with wheels and a lid, I put 1/3rd plastic bags in the bottom then 2 bags of pellets witch fills it to about 4 inches from the top, its easy to fill, easy to get into the house, I park it in the hall & wheel it to the stove once a day & use an old juice jug as a scoop to fill it, most of the fines sink to the bottom of the bin witch I empty out once a season.

DexterDay said:
As for the storage. I store them in my basement on pallets and when it comes time to burn I run them through a pellet sifter.

Just some PVC and a Shop Vac, along with a few little knacks inside. If you run a search at the top of the screen, you should fimd plenty of other threads describing the parts needed. (About $20 in materials/other than the shop vac)

Thanks for sharing, I never would have thought to search for such a system. I'll bet I can do the same thing using my shop dust collector, which uses 4" flexible hose that I can bend into a trap when I want to use it. I have tons of fittings I can snap together in seconds, then pull apart to store on a shelf to save space when not in use.

This pellet thing just might be more fun than I thought. :)

I store my pellets in the garage and basement. I pour the pellets into coal buckets for easy portability. This way, the wife can fill the stove when I am not home. They look nice also.

I also use a coal bucket. Mine holds about 20 lbs of pellets. I keep it next to my stove - see avatar. Pellets are stored in the basement. Mine has an additional handle attached to the bottom back of the bucket which makes it easy to dump.

Hello

I am working on an auto feed system with voice command! LOL

"Igor - Please put another Bag of STOVE CHOW in the hopper right now!"

Igor says "Yes Pellet Stove Master! Your wish is my command!"

See pic below. LOL

I can also plug his head into the computer's USB port to program and recharge his battery!!! ROFL

Attachments

• AutoFeedPelletsSC.jpg
    AutoFeedPelletsSC.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 310
Welcome to the forum !!

Rip, Dump, Burn
No Muss, No Fuss

Thanks for the tips and welcomes. Stove manual says not to dump pellets in stove from the bag I think for safety reasons and also to keep fines out of the stove. Maybe it doesn't really matter. As far as a review of the stove, I took some pictures tonight and will start a new thread with that information soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.