Pellet Stove 55-SHP10 from Lowes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmac007

Jan 26, 2009
RI
Hi everyone, I've been shopping around for some pellet stoves in the area and my local dealers are quoting me prices in the $4K to $5K range (includes installation and taxes) for Harmons and Napoleons that all heat around 2000 sq ft.

I went to Lowe's today and saw the Summers Heat 55-SHP10 for ~ $600 that heats 1500 sqft. Installed, this unit will probably run me $1000

My question is, should I spend 4 times the money for a Harmon? Any feedback on the 55-SHP10? Problems with it? Success stories?

I don't want to buy a crappy stove but is this deal just too good to pass up? Everyone's help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Tom

I'd say it was a deal. The same stove back in the fall was $1200 here in NH. If your not concerned about looks it's a functional stove. That being said, I own the larger one and it works fine, after I returned the first one. :)

I say go for it,1,000 compared to 4,000 to 5,000 remember these stoves are space heaters.
imo ,harmans are overrated they have problems also, so has mine and its a castile( quadrafire)

I'd be wondering why a $1200 stove is $600. Is it new, returned, refurbished? Generally I think you get what you pay for.
Mike -

It's 50% off starting Wednesday, hence the drop to $600. I said the same thing, "you get what you pay for", but I wanted to check here first to see if this thing is a piece of crap or not.

Scruffy, have you had problems with their customer service?

If it is a used stove, I wouldn't buy it...I take that back, I would buy it but I would be ready for the worst. I had a lot of problems with my stove from Lowes. I originally picked up a PDV (SHP-10) but the blower went bad within a week. If I had been smart I would have jumped on the phone with Mike from Englander and got my new blower, but instead I took the stove back to Lowes. I figured it would be quicker than waiting to get a new blower in the mail. When I took the stove back Lowes had a PDV (SHP-10's bigger brother) used for the same price as the SHP-10. The manager at Lowes told me the stove was fixed by an Englander tech and was in proper working order. I bought the stove took it home and had nothing but trouble. I called Englander and they said they never touched the stove after it left their place the first time. So I loaded the stove back up and took it to Lowes...they were nice enough to give me a brand new PDV (an $1800 value) for the price of the used stove ($1200 at the time).

That being said, if you can pick up a PDVC for $600 brand new...I would jump on that so quick! Mike from Englander is on these forums all the time and Englanders tech support is very helpful. I don't regret buying my Englander one bit.

-Chad

tmac007 said:
Hi everyone, I've been shopping around for some pellet stoves in the area and my local dealers are quoting me prices in the $4K to $5K range (includes installation and taxes) for Harmons and Napoleons that all heat around 2000 sq ft.

I went to Lowe's today and saw the Summers Heat 55-SHP10 for ~ $600 that heats 1500 sqft. Installed, this unit will probably run me $1000

My question is, should I spend 4 times the money for a Harmon? Any feedback on the 55-SHP10? Problems with it? Success stories?

I don't want to buy a crappy stove but is this deal just too good to pass up? Everyone's help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Tom

Same stove here at Lowes are still $1299. I saw one a few years ago in the spring marked down to $700 and am still kicking myself for not grabbing it. Sounds like a deal. I have basically the same stove but the Englander brand PDVC/55-SHP10. This is my 4th season with it and overall have been very happy with it. No bells or whistles, just a heat thrower. I wish I had known about this forum before, just found it in August. These stoves do require more frequent cleaning than the $2500+ models. If you can turn a wrench at all, you can work on this stove with the help on here and Englander's support. Throw any questions you have out here, there are plenty of Englander owners around these parts.

Thanks to everyone who responded, I think I'm starting to lean in the direction of buying this stove. Makes me feel better now that I realize how many owners there are of this stove and that they have a rep that comes on here too!

By the way, just found out that we get a tax credit for stoves that are "placed into service" in 2009. $300 back in 2010! Now this stove is an adjusted $300!

Follow up question: Is there a temperature control on this thing?

tmac007 said:
Thanks to everyone who responded, I think I'm starting to lean in the direction of buying this stove. Makes me feel better now that I realize how many owners there are of this stove and that they have a rep that comes on here too!

By the way, just found out that we get a tax credit for stoves that are "placed into service" in 2009. $300 back in 2010! Now this stove is an adjusted $300!

Follow up question: Is there a temperature control on this thing?

The following is a link for the stove service manual. Heat can be set at the stove or an optional remote thermostat can be installed. Details are in the manual.
http://www.englanderstoves.com/manuals/25-PDVC.pdf

I have the HD model of this stove and it heats my 1500 sq ft cape no problem. Even when it was -22 outside. No problems with it so far. Knock on wood pellets.

Dr_Drum said:
I'd be wondering why a $1200 stove is $600. Is it new, returned, refurbished? Generally I think you get what you pay for.
Mike -

If you`re lucky you just might get what you paid for!

But getting back to the original post, I`d buy that $600 stove in a heartbeat. It`s the bargain of the year.

tmac007 said:
It's 50% off starting Wednesday, hence the drop to $600. I said the same thing, "you get what you pay for", but I wanted to check here first to see if this thing is a piece of crap or not.

Scruffy, have you had problems with their customer service?

Do you have inside info as to when they are cutting the prices? I have been thinking the same thing about waiting for them to go on sale, and buying one for my mothers house.

seige101 said:
Do you have inside info as to when they are cutting the prices? I have been thinking the same thing about waiting for them to go on sale, and buying one for my mothers house.

I noticed that there were similar posts on this board reflecting similar prices last year EXACTLY at this time. My guess is that Lowe's tries to move these out mid-season to make room for lawnmowers. :)

tmac007 said:
seige101 said:

I noticed that there were similar posts on this board reflecting similar prices last year EXACTLY at this time. My guess is that Lowe's tries to move these out mid-season to make room for lawnmowers. :)

you are correct. heating appliances like our stoves , space heaters, fireplace tools etc, are sold in the "seasonal" department at lowes, they do indeed want the room for lawn mowers, patio furnature, bbq grills and such.

Mike, what's the manufacturer warranty on this stove? I think it's great you are on here helping people, by the way.

TMAC,
BUY THE STOVE!HOME DEPOT HERE IS ALREADY CLEARING OUT , AND FROM WHAT I SAW THEY CUT THE HECK OUT OF THE PRICES JUST TO SELL THEM OFF. I KNOW SEVERAL PEOPLE IN MY AREA WHO HAVE BOUGHT BOTH THE SUMMERS HEAT, AND ITS TWIN ENGLANDER, BOTH LARGE AND SMALL SIZES. THEY ARE VERY USER FRIENDLY , AND A PIECE OF CAKE TO WORK ON....JUST AND EXAMPLE,A PREGNANT LADY WAS HERE A WHILE AGO GETTING INFO AND HELP FROM MIKE TO DO AUGER AND MOTOR CHANGES ON HER STOVE ON A DIRT FLOOR IN THE BASEMENT. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS GREAT AT ENGLANDER...oops...sorry for the caps, i have to watch the keys when typing,or i get lost..so i wasnt yellin at you.

mike

tmac007 said:
Mike, what's the manufacturer warranty on this stove? I think it's great you are on here helping people, by the way.

warranty is 1 year on electronics, 5 on the firebox. i wouldbe remiss on noting that our warranty is a "parts" warranty and does not include labor, we can and do walk customers through anything they may run into with our units with a very good tech support staff(most of whom ive trained) as well as an extensive online troubleshooting section on our website. if you are even passibly mechanical its a simple stove to maintain and work on if needed. but if you arent the handy type a unit which comes with dealer support may be a better deal for you, though more expensive as you are in essence paying for that part of the service. as far as the unit itself , its as solid as any out there , doesnt have as many "bells and whistles" (features) as some, but it will heat. i actually have an 04 version of that unit in my home that hasnt had a single issue, i have put a couple gaskets on over that last few seasons , but those are "wear items' and need replacement in any stove over time.

its a good unit , been a big seller for us over the last 10 years. we rolled it out in 1998 and since have built over 85 thousand of that model alone which may make it the most popular in form of sheer numbers sold on the market (i do not know this for certain but it stands to reason with the numbers produced)

ok, im teetering on the edge here , i said i wouldnt "sell" in the forum so im gonna leave it at that, if you want any detailed info feel free to PM me or e mail, be happy to answer any other questions you might have

tmac007 said:

50% off sounds like a great deal. I don't think you can go wrong. I would be concerned if it was a return, but new, no problem.
Mike -

[quote author="tmac007" date="1233025147"]It's 50% off starting Wednesday, hence the drop to $600.

I have been looking for the 55-SHPEPI. It is the Lowe's model of England Stove new EP Pellet Insert. I don't think they are sold in stores or online. They are a special order. HD has them on sale now for $2159. If these were to also go on 50% discount, it would be a great purchase. I would like to hear from anyone who has one of the new EP stoves, FS or Insert.

jackiec said:
tmac007 said:
It's 50% off starting Wednesday, hence the drop to $600.

I have been looking for the 55-SHPEPI. It is the Lowe's model of England Stove new EP Pellet Insert. I don't think they are sold in stores or online. They are a special order. HD has them on sale now for $2159. If these were to also go on 50% discount, it would be a great purchase. I would like to hear from anyone who has one of the new EP stoves, FS or Insert.

the EP is mostly a special order unit this season, overall its been successful , little bug here , little bug there , nothing major ive seen. only vendor we have that took it as a stock item this season was Sutherlands , which is a regional chain mostly in the midwest , (arkansas through the rockies) and im not sure that it was stocked in all stores. we didnt produce a huge number of them as it was a debut unit this year and we usually do not mass build debut units, but will likley build a larger quantity next season and you will find them as a stock item in more stores.

So i went to lowes today, no wood or pellet stoves are on sale. All gas log sets, space heaters (electric and gas) and fireplace stuffs, and electric fireplaces are 50% off. Talked to someone in the dept, he said usually 2-3 week of feb but hasn't heard anything yet.

Lowes here has the same deal. I think it has something to do with the fact that Lowes in Westminster NEVER got pellets in. How can they sell stoves that they can't get pellets for?

I haven't heard bad things about those stoves.

One advantage to a Harman is that you can leave alone longer. You could really get away with not scraping the burn pot as the ashes just fall off the end into the large ash bucket.

With the Summers heat, you have to manually push off the ashes or they build up.

Depends on what you want the stove for. Occasional heat, or to heat your home?

I leave my Harman on auto 24/7. I do scrap the burn pot twice a day in hopes of making the most efficient burn.

As far as the ash pan, I can let it go for a month or more if I want.

All stoves have problems but Harmans ARE known industry, forum, and consumer reports wide as being the most reliable. Not 100% reliable just the most.

seige101 said:
So i went to lowes today, no wood or pellet stoves are on sale. All gas log sets, space heaters (electric and gas) and fireplace stuffs, and electric fireplaces are 50% off. Talked to someone in the dept, he said usually 2-3 week of feb but hasn't heard anything yet.

I did purchase this stove from my local Lowes today and it indeed was 50% off along with the vent kit (which was also 50% off as well). Both items cost me a total $750.

I also spoke with a manager and mentioned that I filled out an online form on Monday to save 10% on any purchase (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=pg&p;=/moving/Coupon_Registration.html&ln=cstln4&drd=drd7) and had yet to receive the coupon via email. She gladly credited my purchase an additional 10% off!

Sounds like it may be a geographical discount? I'm in RI

I hope this helps someone.

Myself and my neighbor picked up these stoves down here in MD. There are still some left at the Lowes stores near DC and they are 50% off. When you add the 10% off movers coupon on top man that is a deal......

Status
Not open for further replies.