Pellet Stove Air Circulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

delinx32

Jan 5, 2011
NEPA
I've just bought a house (1800sqft) and it has a Harman p61 pellet stove in it. Right now, the stove is using about 2 bags a day and its putting off great heat to the floor that its on. Its probably about 80 degrees in the room that the stove is in, and mid-70's on the rest of the floor. The floor above is cold though. Its about 62-63 degrees.

Does anyone have any tips on how to better circulate the air to the upper floor to get a more even heat?

The stove is set on Stove temp, feed rate 1, heat 5 or 6.

Many discussions on this topic can be found in a search. Best advice I can give is to try to use a fan at floor level and blow cold air back toward the stove. I've had very good luck placing a desktop fan at the bottom of my stairs blowing toward the stove. I've seen an improvement of 3-4 degrees this way.

Good Luck!

I agree with kofkorn, Your going to need to move some air with a fan or 2. Moving the cold dense air is easier than trying to force the warm air around. Both methods work, I just feel its more effective moving the colder air towards the stove.

You might even need to add some floor registers/grates to get some warm air to rise to the upper level.

Just my two cents worth. Our stove is located at one of the house and the T stat for the gas furnace is at the other end. With the pellet stove remote set at 73 the therm. in the hallway reads a constant 70 without any fans. We tried the fan thing and did not see any difference, but then again we were moving hot air not cold air.

Hello

I have a split entry. I installed the stove in the middle of the basement from left to right and in the middle from front to back and right near the doorway to the upstairs. I cut 2 registers and put a fan in the ductwork to these registers. I also put in a doorway fan. Both fans are connected to the cooling contacts on an older Honeywell Line Voltage Thermostat set for 75 degrees F. When the air above the stove goes above 75 degrees, the fans come on and pull the heat right up. I can heat the entire house no problems. I have not turned the oil heat on yet this year and it was 18 degrees outside last night.

Here is the register system slide show.
http://tinyurl.com/2wyumry

Status
Not open for further replies.