Pellet Stove Basement Vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Snook

Sep 6, 2013
I am in the research mode of purchasing my first pellet stove. I think i have it narrowed down to the Drolet Eco65. My problem is deciding the best place to put my exhaust vent an the outside air kit. I'm curious if any of you guys that are more experienced with this task have any insight on the matter... On the picture attached i was either planning on coming out of the basement window opening on the right( I would obviously take the window out and fill in around the pipe) or come out to the left of the steps in the sill plate and direct vent from there. Also, do you know if the exhaust and oak can be right next to each other?

Attachments

• 20130510_190330.jpg
    20130510_190330.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 634
I'm relatively new as well, so take this for what it's worth...and you'll get lots of other replies from the experts here...but going out the window will not allow you to vent straight out - not enough clearance between termination cap and ground (though you may be able to add a 90 degree elbow and go up with an extension a foot or two, then back to horizontal with another elbow). Plus not sure what code has to say about using an existing window for venting - my guess is it'd be questionable. Best bet might be to go out the sill. It appears you have enough clearance between your direct vent installation and the ground (typically need at least 12") and just go straight out. You'll need to investigate how far away from upstairs windows the vent can be, so may have to plan your install accordingly, by moving the vent left or right a bit between basement window and steps.

If you use a vent such as Selkirk DT, the OAK is built into the vent pipe so no need to drill extra holes or worry about how close OAK needs to be from termination.

Status
Not open for further replies.