Pellet Stove + Blower Fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred Howland

Oct 26, 2013
Milford PA
Hello hearth.com!

I am going to be purchasing the 25-PDV pellet stove on Monday. It is going on the bottom floor of my bi-level home. It will be located at the bottom of the stairs where my current propane furnace is.

My idea, is to remove the propane furnace all together (I have electric baseboard backup, the propane furnace has never actually worked). It is located in sort of a big closet, and my guess is it is going to get REALLY hot in there with the Pellet Stove (there is no doors).

I was wondering if there is a way to connect some sort of fan to the current duct work that the furnace was connected to, to pump the hot air out of that room, and out to the rest of the house? The house is only 1,200 sq feet, and I'm pretty sure this would work great.

Any ideas would be great!

Thank you for reading!

Sounds like it would be a hazard if its in a small enclosed closet.
The pellet stoves throw out some major head when running well.
I dont know what minimum clearances are needed for the stove.

Maybe pictures would help.

This unit will require floor protection if installed on a combustible surface. The minimum floor
protector should give at least one inch (1”) of protection at the rear, four inches (4”) on each side,
and six inches (6”) minimum in the front of the unit.

Sorry, it's not really a closet. It doesn't have doors, it's just like a small room at the bottom of the stairs. It's about 5'x5'. I'm just looking for a way to get the heat upstairs, and the duct work is already run to that room.

You are playing a dangerous game with this plan. Drop the idea. It is seriously unsafe. If you want heat upstairs, install the stove up there.

I guess I'm not understanding why it's unsafe? The person that lived in the house before me had a wood burning stove in the same room and didn't have an issue? The floor is cement and the walls are brick.

There are bedrooms downstairs that I would also like to heat with the stove, that's why I'd like it downstairs.

I'm just looking for some information on getting the heat through the heat ducts and upstairs, So I don't have to setup box fans all over the house. Surely someone has done this.

Maybe instead of leaking out details you could post a shot of the location. FWIW Code prohibits a return from being within 10 ft of the appliance.

Thanks for the continued help with safety and coding begreen, I promise I will have my plan looked over by a professional before it is installed.

Anyone other ideas for getting the warm air to all areas of the house? I've seen heat exchangers in my googling, anyone have any input on them?

Not sure what size duct work you have in your house but do a search for In-line duct booster fans. The only ones I have found are 6", 8" and 10" round but you can buy round to square adapters. I would check with the manufacturer of the booster fan to see if it will move the volume of air for the size and length of your existing duct work. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.