Pellet stove caused heat pipes to freeze

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
camdids said:
I recently had a frozen heating pipe behind an outside wall/roof opening. Got the Thermguard thanks to MAcman letting me know about it. Its been installed since the start of the year. I have it programed to turn on for three minutes( the time it takes for the hot water to circle the upstairs rooms and return to the boiler), every hour and a half. I leave the thermostat on just incase the stove goes out.
The temp in the rooms is 66. The thermostat is set at 62. (The same temps when I got th efrozen pipe).There is some radiant heat from the hot water passing through the baseboards so it helps to keep it warm.
(My Stove is in the living room in an open plan house.)

The Thermguard is GREAT value for the cost. The Emergency Plumber cost me $250. I was lucky the pipes didnt burst.

Thanks for sharing. Your situation seems similar to what happened to me. Some of my heat pipes froze inside but the plumber was able to thaw them out with no bursts.

What has the weather been like where you are? I'm wondering if a 1.5 hr interval would be sufficient for me. Also, how did you go about determining the duration? You said you found out it takes three minutes for the hot water to circulate and return to the boiler. How can I test that myself? Note: I'm quite handy-challenged/impaired. :)

I like your location by the way. :)

I just purchased two ThermGuards. I PM'd bridgerman to get his advice but thought I'd ask the rest of you who have used ThermGuard for advice as well.

What interval would you recommend setting the ThermGuard to? I love on Prince Edward Island and it's been really cold recently (-8F and -20F with the wind chill). Any suggestions? Is 1.5 hours too long?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.