Pellet stove Chimney Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemms

Oct 18, 2006
Edgar, WI
OK, I am moving my pellet stove this year. Last year I had it against an exterior wall, and vented it directly out the wall. I didn't care for that and am moving it to a more central location in the house against an interior wall. Now for the question....
I have a cement block chimney in my house (ranch home) that goes from the basement through the main floor, into the attic, and out the roof. That chimney is located about 5 feet behind where I plan to put my pellet stove. So, what I was hoping to do is vent the pellet stove straight up into the attic. Then, I wanted to angle it up and over to the cement block chimney and tap it into the chimney...
Can I do this? Does anyone see where I would run into any problems?
As long as I continue an upward angle when I go through the ceiling into the attic, I should be okay, right? Is there anything to keep in mind when tapping into the cement block chimney?

Thanks...

How long do you anticipate the entire run to be Lemms? Is this cement block chimney currently unused?

Yes, the cement block chimney is cuurently being used. My wood boiler (which I don't plan on running as long as my pellet stove is running) and hot water heater vent into it from the basement. The run would be about 9' up through the ceiling, and then, once in the attic, the pellet vent would be about 5 feet from the cement chinmey. So, that would be the over-and-up run...6-7 feet.?

The plan to move the stove to a more central location may be good, but it can't share that stack. I'll wait for Elk to chime in, but I believe the flue already in code violation with the HW heater share. Stick with a dedicated flue for the pellet stove.

So, that cement block chimney, according to code, can only be used by a single applicance/unit?
Crap... I was hoping to get away without having to put another hole in my roof.

Yep, page one of the manual says:

Check building codes prior to installation.
• Installation MUST comply with local, regional, state
and national codes and regulations.
• Consult local building, fire officials or authorities
having jurisdiction about restrictions, installation
inspection, and permits

And page 5 says:

• Do NOT connect this unit to a chimney flue servicing
another appliance.
• Do NOT connect to any air distribution duct or system.

No point in voiding the warranty on a nice new stove.

BG is absolutely right - you should only have ONE appliance on a flue - with the limited exception that some gas setups allow a gas furnace and gas HW heater to share. AFAIK it is NEVER OK to have different fuel type appliances share a flue.

That means you absolutely MUST use a dedicated flue for the pellet stove.

The other thing to check on, and I don't know the rules on pellet pipe, is what the requirements are for passing through walls and ceilings, and the types of pipe allowed. I know there are strict code limits on what can be done with woodstoves, but I'm not a pellethead so I haven't bothered to check on the pellet pipe rules as closely.

Gooserider

What about running a 3" pipe up the inside of the chimney? It would make a separate flue. Would he have to do something similar for the hot water heater and furnace?

Matt

The chimney needs the total volume just to support the burner and hot water heater one can run a lined in a chimney used by other applainces and take away that vollume area and reduce add friction to the existing draft this would probably make more back draft problems then there is a code issue that each appliance is assigned to separate flue and n in mansnry chimneys must be separated by a solid 4" masonry partition

If it is backdrafting now due to lack of the inability to handle the current vollume then what good would a liner placed in there for a pellet vent?

Status
Not open for further replies.